The Institute for Applied Ecology (www.appliedeco.org) will be hiring a botany crew lead this spring and summer for field work and related activities associated with native seed collection. The crew lead will work closely with an IAE botanist and a crew of 1-3 botany field technicians to collect seed from native prairie plants, including two threatened species, for restoration and recovery efforts throughout the Willamette Valley. Most time in this position will be spent collecting native seed from all over the Willamette Valley along with collection planning and logistics; some time will be spent processing collected seed and performing data entry. Field work may occasionally include assisting at a native seed farm, or with wetland restoration and conservation research projects. Occasional overnight travel may be required. This position will start mid-April and will last through the end of August, with the possibility of extension depending on funding, weather, and plant phenology.
Compensation: $13.00 – 15.00/hr, depending on experience, plus any overnight food/lodging expenses. Housing in Corvallis is not provided. This is a full-time temporary position with no benefits.
● Bachelor’s degree in Botany, Biology, or related field.
● Comfortable leading a 2-3 person crew with little supervision.
● Interest in conservation biology and restoration ecology.
● Strong plant identification skills and experience using technical keys.
● Familiarity with Willamette Valley flora.
● At least three months of seed collection experience.
● Strong attention to organization and detail.
● Comfortable with Microsoft Word and Excel.
● Ability to work long hours in adverse weather with potential exposure to poison oak.
● Ability to work in a bent-over, kneeling, or standing position for significant periods of time and to hike over uneven terrain for several miles.
● Clear, direct communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
● Ability to lift at least 40 lbs.
● Current U.S. driver’s license.
TO APPLY: Applications should be compiled into a single PDF document and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, January 26, 2016. In the subject line, write: “Seed Crew Lead Application”.
Include a letter of interest stating when you will be available to start work (this is a MUST), resume, transcripts (unofficial is fine), and the names and contact information for three references. Also include separately answers to the following three supplemental questions: 1) Describe your education and experience with plant identification, including the flora of western Oregon and Willamette Valley prairies, 2) Describe your field experience with seed collection, 3) Describe your leadership experience. AT LEAST ONE reference must be from a supervisor from a work experience.
If you are applying to more than one position at IAE, you will need to submit applications in separate e-mails.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Non-U.S. residents must also include a copy of their work visa. Applications will be considered upon receipt. Please direct all inquiries to email@example.com.