The Institute for Applied Ecology (www.appliedeco.org) will be hiring 1-3 botany field technicians this spring and summer for field work and related activities associated with native seed collection. Technicians will work closely with a crew lead and an IAE botanist to collect seed from native prairie plants, including two threatened species, for restoration and recovery efforts throughout the Willamette Valley. Most time in this position will be spent collecting native seed from all over the Willamette Valley; some time will be spent processing collected seed and performing data entry. Field work may occasionally include assisting at a native seed farm, or with wetland restoration and conservation research projects. Occasional overnight trips may be required. This position will start in early to mid-May and will last through the end of August, with the possibility of extension depending on funding, weather, and plant phenology.
Compensation: $11.00/hr plus any overnight food/lodging expenses. Housing in Corvallis is not provided. This is a full-time temporary position with no benefits.
* Interest in conservation biology, restoration ecology, and botany.
* Plant identification skills and experience using technical keys (or enthusiastic willingness to learn). Familiarity with Willamette Valley flora a plus.
* Strong attention to organization and detail.
* Ability to work long hours in adverse weather conditions with potential exposure to poison oak.
* Ability to work in a bent-over, kneeling, or standing position for significant periods of time.
* Clear, direct communication skills and good interpersonal skills.
* Ability to lift at least 40 lbs.
* Current U.S. driver’s license.
TO APPLY: Applications should be compiled into a single PDF document and emailed to email@example.com no later than Friday, January 26, 2016. In the subject line, write: “Seed Crew Application”.
Include a letter of interest stating when you will be available to start work (this is a MUST), resume, transcripts (unofficial is fine), and the names and contact information for three references. AT LEAST ONE reference must be from a supervisor from a work experience.
If you are applying to more than one position at IAE, you will need to submit applications in separate e-mails.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Non-U.S. residents must also include a copy of their work visa. Applications will be considered upon receipt. Please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.