Sierra Pacific Industries started in 1949 with one sawmill in Humboldt, CA. Since that time, we have grown to be one of the largest lumber and millwork producer in the U.S., employing nearly 5,000 crew members. Sierra Pacific continues to be a company where its employees are proud to work at state-of-the-art facilities and others strive to become part of the team.
Sierra Pacific Industries is seeking qualified Botany Survey Technicians to help survey plants in SPI forests during the 2018 summer season. Last year, our crews documented over 300 California Spotted Owls.
About The Position
• Plant identification of California Flora to family, genus, and species
• Measuring and recording topographical and geological characteristics of a site
• Navigating forest roads and terrain using a map
• Survey proposed timber harvest areas for rare plant species and collecting information for NDDB forms
• Housing allowance may be available
• College-level coursework in botany, biology, forestry, natural resources, or related program of study is required
• One season botanical field work preferred
• Ability to identify plant species in the focus geographic area
• Map/photo interpretation ability and prior GPS use desirable
• Must possess valid driver’s license
• All applicants must be 18 years of age or older
Why Join Our Team?
We provide an excellent benefit package including a full Health Benefits Plan with low cost premiums, a 401(k) with Company Match, additional Retirement Contributions, and company paid Life Insurance.
In addition, for over 38 years, the Sierra Pacific Foundation has provided scholarships to help the children of our crew members with education expenses. Each year, we give an average of $500,000 in scholarships.
Interested in SPI, but not this job? Look for future openings at: www.spi-ind.com/careers
About Our Company
Sierra Pacific Industries is a third generation family-owned company based in Northern California. Sierra Pacific owns and sustainably manages nearly 2 million acres of timberland in California and Washington. We are growing forests for our future, planting over 6 million new trees every year. Our forests are managed under a 100-year plan by Registered Professional Foresters, Wildlife Biologists, Botanists, and other professionals.
Sierra Pacific effectively utilize nearly 100% of every piece of wood we bring to our mills. In fact, the small amount that isn’t turned into windows, millwork, lumber, or landscaping material is actually converted into electricity in our seven biomass-fueled power plants.
As part of our safety in the workplace policy, an offer of employment is subject to a negative drug screen result. We are also proud that all Sierra Pacific facilities follow our tobacco-free policy. We verify the social security number of all newly hired employees. Sierra Pacific is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer, including those with a disability and veterans.