The NC Burn Crew Members participate in preserve operations, restoration, maintenance, and management. This may include the following functions:
• Participates in prescribed fire and wildfire activities, which may include: burn unit prep, fire operations, managing staff and volunteers, maintenance of equipment and supplies, mop up, and monitoring.
• Participates in restoration projects including thinning, planting, and other projects.
• Maintains preserves and buildings, which may include: maintaining tools and equipment, repairing fences and gates, posting boundaries, and maintaining grounds and structures at historical sites.
The NC Burn Crew Members may assist on wildland fire operations in other parts of the region with federal, state, or private partners, or travel to other areas of the state or out-of-state to assist other TNC programs or partners on prescribed or wildland fires.
TNC Burn Crew Members will be expected to follow evolving TNC and local Covid-19 guidelines.
• High school diploma and 6 months of related experience.
• Must be qualified as a Fire Fighter Type 2 (FFT2), including Introduction to ICS (I-100), Human Factors on the Fire line (L-180), Introduction to Wild Land Fire Behavior (S-190), Firefighting Training (S-130), and one training burn serving under the supervision of a qualified FFT2. See http://www.tncfiremanual.org/firefighter.htm
• Must achieve physical fitness standard as determined by local Fire Program Manager and the TNC Fire Manual.
• Experience operating various types of equipment.
• Must have valid driver’s license.