Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 02/28/2019
Closing Date: 03/15/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota Zoological Garden / Zoological Gardens-AFSCME
Division/Unit: Conservation / Field Conservation
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift / 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Days of Work: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday OR Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $14.47 - $16.95 / hourly
Classified Status: Unclassified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 - Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: Conservation
Start Date: May 22, 2019
End Date: September 3, 2019
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
This position is limited in duration and will work full time starting around May 22, 2019 to approximately September 3, 2019. The schedule for this position is Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Specific start and end dates are negotiable.
This position assists daily operations of the Minnesota Zoo’s Prairie Butterfly Conservation Program, including: care of and data collection on all life stages of imperiled, endangered, and surrogate prairie butterflies; care of host and nectar plants; temperature and climate monitoring; and other related tasks.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
• Implement established rearing and husbandry protocols to ensure the highest standards of animal care for populations of several species of butterflies at the Minnesota Zoo, including species listed as: Endangered or Threatened at state and federal levels and common surrogate butterfly species.
• Collect data associated with all husbandry activities and log all activities to ensure appropriate record-keeping to facilitate increased scientific knowledge of butterfly life history and their care.
• Maintain spaces so that proper health and quarantine procedures are maintained.
Perform other duties as assigned or apparent to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and its projects
• Student entering their second or greater year in a post-secondary institution, or student in graduate study program, working toward a degree in Conservation Biology, Ecology, Entomology, Wildlife Management, Zoology, or closely related field.
o ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENT WORKERS: To be eligible for employment as a Student Worker, you must be a student enrolled in an educational program or planning to enroll within three months. You may be "off" for the summer or for one semester/quarter and remain employed as a Student Worker, but such absences cannot exceed one semester/quarter in a year. If you are enrolled at a credit-granting institution, you must carry at least six semester (nine quarter) credits. If enrolled at a non-credit granting institution or one that only offers one credit per class, you must be taking two or more classes per semester/quarter. Any lesser credit (class) load shall be treated as a semester/quarter off. Graduate students must be enrolled in at least two courses or making progress on a dissertation. You will be asked to complete an Educational Verification form prior to appointment. The applicant must meet the requirements for appointment as a Student Worker.
• Knowledge of basic biology and zoology.
• High level of attention to detail.
• Interest in zoo-based conservation of wildlife.
• Experience working with insects, especially butterflies.
• Work experience with animal husbandry.
• Experience in empirical research design, methodology, and basic data analysis is desired.
• Ability to work outside under potentially extreme weather conditions.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time and walk long distances on uneven terrain
• Ability to lift, carry and move up to 25 pounds.
• Ability to operate a golf cart (if over 18 years of age).
• Manual dexterity sufficient to operate basic hand tools, butterfly nets, light power tools, sprayers, and basic cleaning supplies.
• Ability to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, stand, walk, run, jump, push, pull, lift, stand still, and sit still.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
• Employment verification checks, criminal background check, including fingerprints, and driver's license.
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Elizabeth Bauer at email@example.com or 952/431-9212.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.