Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Carnivore Research Assistant-Malawi
Carnivore Research Malawi
Kasungu National Park, Malawi
Full time Positions
CRM will provide accommodation and bills, work related travel, airport transfers and limited personal use of a project vehicle. You will be required to cover your own flights, food, visas, insurance and vaccinations.
We are conducting field research to assess the ecology and distribution of carnivores in Kasungu National Park Malawi to inform conservation management. (www.carnivoreresearchmalawi.org). We are currently recruiting for a Research Assistant to coordinate in all aspects of our research in Kasungu National Park.
You will be responsible for day to day running of the research programme including:
- Manging teams of volunteers in the field including training
- Conducting camera trap surveys
- Collecting and mapping scats and conducting faecal diet analysis in the lab
- Creating and maintaining a photographic database of carnivores (hyaena & leopard) using MS Access and CameraBase
- Creating and updating QGIS habitat and sightings maps
- Vegetation surveys
- Conducting otter surveys
- Large mammal prey transect surveys
- Conducting behavioural observations and habituation of hyaena at dens and in the field (when possible)
- Assisting with carnivore trapping and collaring when necessary
- Training of volunteers and creating volunteer schedules
- Attend and contribute to project meetings
- Be flexible in the hours worked to fluctuating demand
- Work closely and co-operatively with other team members, and network internationally representing the project with organisations.
- Maintain accurate records of work activities and data entry
- Management and maintenance of project budget
- Produce weekly and monthly project reports, newsletters, bulletins as requested
This is an 8 month position commencing ASAP with a possibility of extension to a year.
We are looking for someone with:
- Maturity: We are looking for someone with a mature mental attitude to be the representative of CRM in the field, and lead by example.
- Inspirational Leadership skills: You will need to be a great leader, able to inspire and motivate the team.
- Organisational skills: We are looking for someone who is highly organised and practical, with an eye for detail.
- Management skills: you must have excellent interpersonal and management skills.
- Maturity is a must, as well as the ability to work maintain the motivation and research output despite the many daily challenges of working in Malawi.
The position is field based and will require field work at night and in the day. Therefore you will need to be willing to be based in remote environments at rustic field camps. The post offers an excellent opportunity for career development for a researcher with research skills who is interested in applied conservation biology, carnivores and human-wildlife conflict.
- Minimum of BSc, in ecology, conservation or similar field
- Eye for detail
- Experience of working and living in remote environments, preferably in Africa
- Excellent team-work skills, written and oral communication skills
- Clean driving license
- Proven experience of working in a team and working with volunteers/students from diverse backgrounds
- A confident communicator who is able to relate well to people from diverse backgrounds
- Passion for conservation and wildlife
- Computer literacy: MS Office, including Access; Photoshop, ArcGIS
- Positive mental attitude, resilient, ability to muck in and get on with it
- Hard work ethic, flexible and conscientious approach
- Be willing to track and observe carnivores at night
- 4×4 off road driving experience
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Experience of data collection and analysis under minimal supervision
- Experience of field research with carnivores preferably in Africa
- A good understanding of current concepts in African conservation as well as issues in environmental science, policy and management
- Experience of ArcGIS mapping, digitising and home range analysis
- MSc or PhD in ecology, zoology, biology
- FAGASA equivalent qualifications
To apply please send a CV and covering letter (outlining why you think you would be suitable for the post) to email@example.com