As a core member of the Stewardship department, the Carriage Roads & Grounds Coordinator (CRGC) is responsible for planning, managing, and executing stewardship and maintenance projects for Mohonk Preserve’s (Preserve) historic gravel carriage road infrastructure including carriage roads, bridges, parking areas, supporting buildings, drainage, and other land maintenance. The CRGC coordinates with various Preserve departments, volunteers, and outside organizations to maintain and repair the carriage road system.
The Carriage Roads & Grounds Coordinator work is hands-on and requires close coordination and collaboration with other Mohonk Preserve staff to achieve the organization’s mission and high standards of stewardship. Good collaboration, cooperation and communication with other Preserve departments and staff is paramount to the success of this position.
The Carriage Roads & Grounds Coordinator reports to the Director of Stewardship.
• Assist the Director of Stewardship with prioritization and implementation of carriage road projects as identified through the Preserve’s plans, policies, and procedures.
• Work with the Director of Stewardship and other staff to establish and implement annual Stewardship department work plans and budgets, determining when projects can be completed in-house or need to be outsourced.
• Oversee the general maintenance (organization/appearance/condition) of all Preserve carriage roads including but not limited to the following related structures: bridges, entry gates, drainage, educational sites along the carriage roads and vistas.
• Execute maintenance projects consistent with workplan related to the Preserve carriage roads and supporting infrastructure.
• Coordinate with volunteer groups to complete specific maintenance and minor construction projects.
• Assist the Director of Stewardship and the Preserve’s Grants Manager in the development of trail project funding proposals.
• Provide assistance to contractor-led projects by aiding design professionals and contractors related to the carriage roads including project bidding, awarding, materials sourcing, construction oversight.
For full details: https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/who-we-are/jobs-fellowships-and-internships/
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Education and/or Experience:
A. Bachelor’s degree with studies in Recreation Resource, Natural Resources Management, Facilities, Construction, Project Management or other related field or trade preferred, OR
B. An Associate degree with studies in Recreation Resource, Natural Resources Management, Facilities, Construction, Project Management, or other related field and three (3) years of experience, OR
C. Five (5) years of experience in related trades. This could include knowledge, experience and skills in landscaping, construction and carpentry, building systems management (e.g., building codes, environmental regulations, safety standards), vehicle operation and maintenance, and small equipment operation and repair.
• Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license and certificates appropriate to the vehicles, equipment and/or machinery operated at time of appointment or during employment.
• Extensive knowledge of trail maintenance, design, and construction techniques for a variety of non-motorized trails.
• Proven ability to plan, organize, schedule, and manage multiple projects.
• Ability to perform strenuous labor and to safely operate and maintain a variety of hand and mid-sized power equipment (including but not limited to chainsaws, brush mowers, skid steer, tractors, grading equipment, rollers, mini excavators.
• Work for extended periods of time outdoors in all types of weather conditions alone.
• Proficient computer skills - ability to use email, Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom).
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to work well with the public, representing the values and mission of Mohonk Preserve.
• First-Aid/CPR mandatory.
• Physical ability to travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions on unimproved trails, carrying up to 40 pounds of gear.
o Wilderness First Aid or Responder/CPR for the Professional Rescuer
o Basic GIS & database management experience
o Supervisory experience
How to Apply:
Email preferred: Send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (include phone and email) to arrive by February 10, 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by mail to:
Chuck Reid, Director of Stewardship, Mohonk Preserve, PO Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561