Would you enjoy teaching engaging hands-on lessons in an outdoor setting while living on one of Georgia's beautiful barrier islands? If so, a position as an Environmental Educator at Camp Jekyll is the job for you!
Check out this video to see our facility and educators in action: https://vimeo.com/204630045
This is as seasonal position (late August 2017 to May 2018) as an environmental educator at Camp Jekyll located on Jekyll Island, Georgia. The primary responsibility is to independently lead K-12 students through multidisciplinary classes in an outdoor setting. Class subjects offered include life and earth science, coastal ecology, and marine science. Other responsibilities include animal care, maintenance of teaching resources, facilities and grounds, and general operation of facilities.
Bachelor's degree in Education, Natural Science, Environmental Education, Biology, Outdoor Education, or related fields preferred. A valid driver's license and First Aid/CPR/AED certification (or willingness to obtain) are required.
To successfully perform work, applicants should have the following knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies:
- Commitment, genuine interest in child development, dynamic personality, well developed communication skills, creativity, and leadership ability
- Skill in teaching a wide variety of subjects to youth 6-18 years old
- Broad knowledge of outdoor education and able to work in an outdoor setting
- Ability to work with and care for reptiles and aquaria
- Ability to communicate effectively with youth and adults
- Ability to work independently
Must be able to lift approximately 40 pounds and walk up to three miles daily. Must be able to work in adverse physical and weather conditions. Constantly exposed to outdoor elements (physical and biological) present on a Georgia barrier island.
Variable, but approximately 40 hours per week. Evening and weekend work is required.
Housing and Meals:
Fully furnished on-site housing is available for $40/week. Meals are available in the dining hall for $2.50 a meal.
How to apply:
1. Go to www.ugajobsearch.com
2. Click “Search Postings”
3. Under the “Location of Vacancy” option, scroll to the bottom and choose “Camp Jekyll on Jekyll Island”
4. Our environmental education positions are listed as “State Extension Program Assistant,” so find that position and click “View”
5. Click “Apply for this Posting” and complete the application.
6. Email Lauren Nys Kuschner (email@example.com ) to confirm receipt of application materials.