Are you interested in diving deeper into the world of conservation education and becoming a member of the next generation of conservation heroes? Apply now for an internship with the Houston Zoo Collegiate Conservation Program sponsored by ExxonMobil.
Ten interns will be selected to train, learn, and collaborate for 10 weeks at the Houston Zoo and regional conservation partner locations from May 20, 2019 – July 26, 2019. Interns will receive a $1,500 stipend at the conclusion of the internship to offset living expenses during the experience. The stipends are sponsored by a generous donation from ExxonMobil.
Throughout the 10 weeks, interns will:
• Understand the role of action-oriented conservation campaigns
• Explore the elements that go into a zoo-based conservation organization including:
o Conservation Education
o Development and Funding
o Public Relations
• Enhance teamwork, leadership and communication skills integral when working with
others towards the goal of saving wildlife
• Practice local conservation techniques with field partners around the Houston area
• Learn from Houston Zoo global conservation partners. Past guest professors have
included Gabriel Massocato from the Giant Armadillo Project in Brazil and Dr. Jonah
Ratsimbazafy from GERP in Madagascar.
• Participate in networking opportunities with conservation professionals, Houston Zoo
staff, and CEO Lee Ehmke
What past participants are saying:
“Before CCP, I only knew that I loved wildlife and conservation, but I had no sense of what
direction I wanted to go with that love. CCP taught me so many things about myself and gave me a purpose and sense of direction. I have made positive changes in my lifestyle and grown as a conservationist.”
Expectations during 10-Week Internship
• Must be available May 20, 2019 – July 26, 2019 with variable hours. General schedule
of 30-35 hours per week, worked primarily Monday – Friday, 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM; some
evenings, weekends, or overnights required.
• 75% of this time will be spent working in the field at off-site regional conservation
partners in the Houston area. Some of our 2018 regional conservation partners were
the Galveston Bay Foundation, Armand Bayou Nature Center and Brazos Bend State
Park. Transportation to partners will be provided by the Zoo.
• 25% of this time will be spent on Zoo grounds learning from Houston Zoo professionals.
• Collaborate on a culminating project, synthesizing information learned over the entire
• Abide by all Houston Zoo policies and procedures, including safety protocol.
• Exposure to outdoor weather such as heat, humidity, and rain will be required.
• Housing and transportation to and from the Houston Zoo will be the responsibility of the
Expectations Following 10-Week Internship
• Three months after internship – Participate in conference call to discuss behavior
changes since the end of the program and how the internship has created a lasting
• One year after internship – Act as a mentor to 2020 Collegiate Conservation Program
• Each intern must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student who will be returning
to college as a full-time sophomore, junior, or senior student for at least the fall semester
after the internship. Before the internship can begin, the student must provide the
Houston Zoo with written enrollment verification from the college confirming the student’s
enrollment status. Student ID cards and/or phone calls are not sufficient
documentation. Official enrollment verification must come from a university’s registrar
office. As a helpful tip, this documentation is the same paperwork that auto insurance
companies require to confirm student driver enrollment.
• Must submit a complete online application including resume and cover letter by the
• Must be available for a Skype interview session during the week of March 18.
• Family members of board or staff at Houston Zoo or ExxonMobil are not eligible to be
selected as interns of this program.
Learn more and apply online by March 13, 2019: https://www.houstonzoo.org/make-memories/adults/collegiate-conservation-program/
Applications will only be accepted through the above link.