The communicator is responsible for telling the story of the Virginia Seafood Agricultural Research & Extension Center (VSAREC) to a local, state, and international audience by writing articles and contributing to the VT news, social media, websites, CALS and VT publications, and other outlets.
Working collaboratively with the VSAREC faculty and the Virginia Tech communications and marketing team, this person will produce and supply content to be used on the web and social media channels to tell the story of VSAREC researchers and actively pitch those stories to the media.
This person will also assist with updating and managing content for the VSAREC website.
Similarly, the communicator will find and report on stories that show the breadth and impact of VSAREC programs that will be used on the web, in magazines, and on social media.
• Experience working in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field
• A degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or equivalent experience
• Experience writing about scientific issues for non-scientific audiences
• Experience writing and producing public-facing content
• Editing experience
• Experience working with the media to get stories before a wider audience
• Experience collaborating with a larger communications team to ensure messages are reiterated and carried across various channels
• Experience in higher education
• Working knowledge of aquaculture and fisheries
• Working knowledge of Virginia Cooperative Extension and 4-H