Rock River Coalition seeks an enthusiastic, detail-oriented person with a strong understanding of both science and communications to assist with communications and outreach efforts.
• Compensation: $18-$23/hour depending on experience. Rock River Coalition offers benefits that include a health stipend and paid time off. This is a part-time (20 hr. a week) grant funded position with some prorated benefits. Current grant funding is available through 2021.
• Position Length: This is expected to be a permanent 20 hour per week position but will depend on funding.
• Anticipated start date: January 22, 2021
• Location: TBD -Most meetings will occur virtually during the Covid-19 pandemic. The Rock River Coalition’s home office is in Jefferson, Wi at 864 Collins Road. However, it is anticipated that this position would work primarily from home during the Covid-19 pandemic and at a TBD location in Jefferson, Madison, or from a home office.
• Assist in planning and writing content for the data sharing and visualization section and other parts of the Rock River Coalition’s website.
• Conduct interviews and write 2 to 3 RRC newsletter articles a month as well as other content specific to programs, projects, or other communications channels. Collect and solicit additional content for both the monthly e-newsletter and the bi-annual paper newsletter.
• Work with staff to distill technical information in an easy to understand way.
• Write content for and create 4 to 6 ESRI story maps a year.
• Be a resource to the executive director, stream monitoring/AIS coordinator, and board for written and presentation materials.
• Work with executive director, stream monitoring coordinator, and Rock River Coalition Board to visually interpret water quality data.
• Collaborate and brainstorm with teammates on themes, strategies, and content for communications and marketing to reach, engage, and grow various audience segments including environmentally conscious citizens and young conservation professionals
• Write press releases.
• Assist with editing of written content for all communications channels.
Graphic Design & Media (25%)
• Design, create and update visually compelling materials within existing brand and style parameters that promote the work and offerings of the Rock River Coalition, including but not limited to: • Layout and design for the monthly e-newsletter.
• Layout and design for Rock River Reflections, a bi-annual paper newsletter.
• Develop flyers and brochures to inform and promote programs (e.g., educational webinars, training, river clean ups) and projects (e.g., Stream Monitoring Map).
• Create T-shirt designs that are appealing and reflective of the organization’s mission.
• Act as point person with print houses and vendors for the majority of print projects.
Email & Social Media (10%)
• Collaborate with teammates on strategies to cultivate & grow social communities to achieve RRC growth.
• Work with teammates to execute additional email marketing, acquisition, and engagement strategies for RRC projects, events, and activities.
• Ensure email newsletter is drafted with compelling and informative material and delivered each month in a timely manner to sustain engagement.
• Develop the day-to-day social media plan (Facebook and Twitter primarily, also YouTube, Instagram).
• Create and curate social media content; collaborate with teammates that can provide support.
• Monitor, manage and respond to comments and messages on social platforms.
• Track key performance indicators for email and social media; assist with compiling results for reporting.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES
The successful candidate for this opportunity will have the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in communications and water resources, environmental science or related. (Should have extensive knowledge of both science and communications.)
• One to three years of related graphic design, communications, marketing experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proficiency and a strong command of Adobe Creative Suite demonstrated by submitted portfolio.
• Demonstrated experience using social media platforms to grow and engage communities, as well as with management tools to curate content, pull metrics, and monitor audiences via social listening.
• Excellent communication (written, oral, listening, interpersonal) and organizational skills.
• Exceptional writing and editing skills.
• Self-motivated with attention to detail.
• Willingness to take on work outside the immediate job description.
• Ability to work both independently with little supervision and in a team environment.
• Strong command of Microsoft Office, ESRI (experience creating maps and Storymaps), and email marketing platforms. MailChimp experience preferred.
• Must have a home computer.
• A passion for water resources and the environment.
• Demonstrated understanding of the value of inclusiveness and diversity in all its forms: racial and cultural, political, age, gender, economic, and social.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES
• Familiarity with the land and waters of the Rock River Basin.
Send a cover letter and resume, as well as two professional writing samples and three to four creative pieces to email@example.com. Use the subject line “Communications Associate.” References will be required for top applicants. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is Jan 8th, 2021.