The Trump Administration is rapidly chipping away at vital environmental protections, federal agencies and laws. The new Secretary of the Environmental Protection Agency (#PollutingPruitt) says human carbon emissions aren’t a major factor in climate change. Pipelines carrying explosive and hazardous fuels are running roughshod over Native American land. Landowners are being abused by multi-billion dollar corporate bullies who use eminent domain to seize their property.
It’s clear the Trump Administration has no desire to protect our health, environment, or future generations. We need strong leaders to take a stand. Will YOU step up?
TEXAS CAMPAIGN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT (TCE) envisions a Texas free from pollution. As the largest environmental group in Texas organizing support through door-to-door canvassing, we’ve gotten:
• Fort Worth-based Pier 1 Imports to phase out toxic flame retardants from their furniture
• Houston Mayor Annise Parker to bring curbside recycling to all Houston households
• Austin City Council to implement curbside composting city-wide
TCE has truly pioneered a community-based structure of organizing. Now we need your help to tackle Texas’ most recent problem, keeping toxic batteries out of leaking landfills.
The Community Organizer will be responsible for creating relationships within designated community areas of the city and building our grassroots base of supporters. The Organizer will be held to high expectations of performance with weekly and monthly goals for various organizing activities.
• Grassroots door-to-door canvassing
• Membership recruitment, fundraising and letter-writing campaigns
• Community outreach and coalition-building
• Identifying voters and volunteers
• Planning and participating in demonstrations and political actions
• Testifying at public hearings and events
• Full-time: Monday through Friday, 2:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
• Part-time positions available (minimum 3 days per week; hours are still 2pm-10pm).
• $450/week+ (Full-time), $360/week+ (4 days), $270/week+ (3 days)
• Medical and dental insurance coverage
• Paid vacation, paid sick days and paid holidays
• Rapid advancement and management training
• Opportunities for travel throughout Texas and the U.S., including national and regional conferences
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage.
• Web: www.texasenvironment.org
• LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/texas-campaign-for-the-environment
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/texasenvironment
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/txenvironment
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/txenvironment
It is the policy of TCE to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, TCE will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
High-level relationship building skills with the ability to build consensus, engage a wide range of diverse stakeholders and allies, and navigate complex community and political dynamics.
Ability to work independently, problem solve, and manage time and priorities.
Good listening, speaking, and writing communication skills. Team-player.
Genuine commitment to the environment, progressive politics, and the vision of a just and equitable society.
Some related non-profit, political, or volunteer experience is preferred but not required.
Bilingual skills a plus.