The Community Volunteer Ambassador (CVA) will be engaged with the Volunteers-In-Parks Program and Community Outreach programs projects and events. The intern will engage with very diverse and spread out populations in southeast Texas. The preserve is contained within 7 counties and is located close to Houston, Texas.
· CVA will assist with training, recruiting, and selecting candidates for volunteer positions as well as providing information at events/career fairs Assist with some educational and safety programming for the general public and volunteer groups. This may include presentations, talks, and instructions
· Assist with creating and posting on social media to help promote events, projects, or to recruit volunteers
· Assist with creating maps, fliers, invitations, and brochures Event Coordination/ Program support- planning and implementation of events and programs which may include social media posts, correspondence, engaging with the public, attending meetings, designing planning documents, gathering materials, and presenting information to staff and volunteers
· Required to do some record keeping, reporting, time keeping, and other administrative duties
· Assist with volunteer administration which may include designing spreadsheets, creating position descriptions, entering data, organizing files, and correspondence via email and phone.
Big Thicket National Preserve will provide a three-bedroom, shared home in a remote location with a dirt road driveway. A/C, laundry facility, full kitchen, furnished, dormitory style rooming. Wi-Fi, and landline provided, no cable. Commute is about 15-20 minutes north of the Visitor Center where CVA will be working. *If site is unable to provide housing at no cost, up to $80/week may be allocated to support rent.
· Easy going, organized with the ability to follow tasks through completion
· Possess practical problem-solving skills
· Remain flexible in a fast-paced season, and be responsive to other staff and supervisors
· Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
· Be 18-30 years old (35 years old if you are a veteran)
· Be willing and able to commit to a year of full-time work
· Submit proof of a driver’s license and undergo a federal background check, upon selection
· Access to personal vehicle drive to and from work each day
· Flexibility in order to accommodate for events and programs on some nights and weekends
· Confident in leadership roles
· Comfortable with public speaking abilities, active listening, and cooperation in group settings
· 1 year of work or volunteer experience in a customer service, educational professional, or event organization setting
· Must be able to utilize Microsoft or google programs to complete record keeping, data entry, time keeping, research, email correspondence, and more