POSITION: Community Wildfire Protection Corps (CWPC) AmeriCorps Crew Member
-Session #1: $6,000 stipend along with earning a $1,678 AmeriCorps Education Award for a total benefit of $7,678 per term of service.
-Session #2: $5,800 stipend along with earning a $1,678 AmeriCorps Education Award for a total benefit of $7,478 per term of service. 11/24+25 are unpaid non-work days.
ANTICIPATED PROGRAM DATES (tentative):
SESSION #1: 02/27 - 05/12/2023
SESSION #2: 09/25 - 12/08/2023 (11/24+25 unpaid non-work days)
You may apply for all 2023 sessions. Your eligibility to continue for a subsequent session will be dependent on the session's geographical location and performance evaluation by your Supervisors.
Training/Professional Development, this comprehensive training will not exceed 20% of total member service hours and may cover the following topics:
• NYC Leadership Philosophy
• OHSA Courses
• USDA Chainsaw Operation and Maintenance
• Brush Cutter Operation and Maintenance
• Power Pole Saw Operation and Maintenance
• Wood Chipper Operation
• Driver (select Members only) and Trailer Use
• Tool Use and Maintenance
• Site Assessment (Defensible Space Inspection) Training
• Work Site Analysis
• Conservation Education
• Risk Management and Safety Procedures
• Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
• Crew Management and Motivation
• Behavior Management
• Time Management
• Anaphylaxis Training
• IS-100, IS-700, S-130, S-190, L-180. By taking and completing the above courses, this will result in you having taken all course requirements needed for Entry Level Wildland Firefighter (NWCG Firefighter 2) certification (i.e. Red Card). Having your "Red Card" will allow you to be employed as a Wildland Firefighter.
• CWPC Crew members can gain industry-recognized credentials and skills that can be added to their CV/Resume. These will assist Crew members in gaining access to outdoor related career outlets.
• Gear and Safety Equipment provided: 2 x field work shirts, eye protection, ear protection, hard hat and more.
• This is a full time, session based opportunity. Typical hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00AM to 4:30 PM, but can vary due to weather, IFPL levels, training needs, etc.
• During regular CWPC session dates, a CWPC Eugene Crew Member usually receives Saturdays and Sundays off.
• Members receive a 30 minute lunch and at least two breaks each day. This 30 minute lunch break does not count toward AmeriCorps member service hours.
Position Qualifications and Certifications
• 19-26 years old (age at enrollment).
• Pass a criminal history background check.
• Be able to arrive on time to the pre-designated meeting point during all training and service
• Desire to learn and grow.
• Positive mental attitude, flexibility and commitment to success.
• Excellent judgment.
• Ability to listen, give and take feedback.
• Desire to go the extra mile to make a positive impact on oneself, others and the environment.
• Current First Aid/CPR certification or applicants must obtain certification before their participation. Reimbursement (up to $35) of this certification is possible upon completion of the session.