The Conservation Management Technician will support the Marin Municipal Water District (MMWD) by providing oversight of contractors managing vegetation across District lands. The Technician will work in a variety of habitats on projects ranging from grassland protection to forestry resiliency to fuels reduction.
Primary Duties include:
Project & Contractor/Crew Management
- Assist in overseeing contractor crews maintaining and building fuel breaks, controlling invasive plants, and implementing forest resiliency work, to include documenting activities and assessing efficacy of treatment work in support of priority agency partner control work;
- Provide training for crews regarding plant species identification, weed control methods, pathogen and weed spread prevention, use of mapping devices and apps, and other technical aspects of vegetation management projects;
- Review contract specification, BMPs, mitigation and safety measures with contract crew leaders;
- Provide contractor oversight to ensure that fuel reduction work meets safety and performance criteria;
- Provide project administrative support including work crew calendar maintenance and participation in work planning exercises;
- Generate and update work orders in SAP;
- Prepare field maps for contract crew use using ArcGIS and/or Calflora applications;
- Map project sites in the field for the purpose of quantifying work performed and production rates;
- Flag or otherwise delineate Federal or State listed species and other sensitive resources requiring protection ahead of vegetation management actions;
- Collect data to support compliance and permit development as necessary;
- Quantify weeds and work performed using Calflora Observer Pro;
- Perform occasional vegetation management (controlling invasive plants, maintaining fuel breaks);
- Enter data into multiple databases and reconciling contractor-submitted invoices against work orders.
Equipment and Vehicle Management
- Inventory and maintain tools and equipment necessary for completing vegetation management work;
- Ensure vehicle safety through regular inspections and scheduled maintenance;
- Inventory and troubleshoot a variety of handheld devices to include phones, tablets, digital radios, GPS pucks and two-way radios.
- Manage device software applications for data collection, navigation and other tasks.
- Order equipment and track purchases for budgetary purposes.
- Maintain good communication and positive working relations with agency staff and external partners;
- Valid driver's license required
This position will be available from July 1st 2018 to June 30th 2019 with a possibility for extension. Apply online at parksconservancy.org.
Applications accepted until June 13, 2018.
No phone calls please.
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, placement and promotions are conducted without regard to an individual's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap, veteran status or sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by Federal, State, and local laws & ordinances.