Save The Waves Coalition is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting surf ecosystems around the world. We work in partnership with local communities to realize this mission through protected areas, stewardship, and direct action. Our goals is to protect 1000 surf ecosystems by 2025, and mobilize 1 million people as part of the solution.
Save the Waves is hiring a Conservation Programs Director. The Conservation Programs Director will manage the overall program strategy and implementation for the organization for protected areas such as the World Surfing Reserves and Surf Protected Areas Network. The individual will direct and coordinate protected areas programs and stewardship projects throughout the world. The director will work with internal staff, partner organizations, volunteers, and other resources to implement programmatic goals and meet organizational objectives. The position will work with the executive director to determine resource allocations to various projects and build strategic partnerships with outside groups to accomplish joint goals. The position will require travel to specific site areas to conduct research, establish local partnerships and implement campaigns/projects. Expected international travel is 20-30% of work time. The director will also act as an expert resource to various groups, including internal staff, funders, partners, media, volunteers and supporters. The position reports to the executive director.
● Manage Network of 10 World Surfing Reserves around the world
● Drive management of Surf Protected Areas Networks planning and strategy
● Guide stewardship project planning and execution
● Facilitate implementation of Surf Protected Area Pilots in Indonesia, Chile, and Mexico and elsewhere
● Assist in designing and implement Monitoring and Evaluation framework for protected areas programs
● Assist in developing storytelling content around impact
● Assist with development and execution of branded campaigns
● Ensure the effective functioning of financial, staffing and administrative matters and adequate internal control between STW HQ and on the ground projects.
● Act as organizational face and voice, engaging with agencies, private individuals and Foundations to mobilize resources in order to implement STW’s priority activities.
● Manage overseas personnel in project sites
● 5 - 10 years’ environmental sector experience
● MA / MS in Ecology, Biology or Coastal Science preferred
● Protected Areas Management / Planning Experience
● Understanding of resource economics
● Grant writing and fundraising
● Experience with community building in developing countries / cultural intelligence
● Spanish, Indonesian, or Portuguese proficiency preferred
● Understanding of global and regional surf cultures.