Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Controls Engineer-New York
Full time Positions
Last Date to Apply
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components, and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Scope of Position:
• The successful candidate will be a member of a multi-disciplined engineering department and will manage individual projects as well as work on project teams. The work takes place within a high-quality specialty glass manufacturing plant.
• Design and implement equipment and control systems.
• Develop electronic instrumentation calibration procedures.
• Design and implement production equipment, measurement, and control systems for manufacturing high quality specialty glass. Control systems include a DCS process control system, PLCs for sequential logic and single loop control.
• Develop software and/or use applications to support manufacturing and analysis of equipment, products, processes, and experiments.
• Design and support installation of electrical power distribution within the manufacturing facility.
• Projects typically focus on:
o yield, efficiency, and cycle time improvements,
o downtime reduction,
o cost reduction,
o improving resource or process capability.
• Work is related to government and military contracts as well as products for the semiconductor, display, and commercial telescopic mirrors applications.
• Performs a variety of duties in the electronic, mechanical, electromechanical, or optical areas
• Constructs, troubleshoots, calibrates, adjusts, tests, and maintains equipment, components, devices, or systems.
• Works from schematics, engineering drawings, and written or verbal instructions. Operates related equipment; conducts tests and reports data in prescribed format.
Work Hours & Travel:
• Occasional travel for training courses and visits to equipment suppliers.
• Mon – Fri, 7:00 am until 3:30 pm. Overtime as required (typically project or self-directed).
Required Education & Experience:
• BS in electrical engineering
• Solid understanding of:
o Electrical and control systems,
o systems programming,
o logic and process control,
o technical documentation and communication.
• Willing to work on government and military contracts.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Project management skills and experience.
• Previous experience working in a manufacturing environment
• Experience and continued desire to work in a manufacturing / production setting.
• CAD skills; power, load flow, short circuit analysis, and arc flash analysis skills.
• Familiarity with advanced control theory, calibration and standards, and design and safety codes.
• The successful candidate should enjoy applied engineering in a real-world setting.
• Ability to work with production and maintenance workers in a unionized setting.
• Able to receive project level direction and execute tasks on own.
• Able to communicate priorities and give direction to others.
• Able to work in a union plant with union employees.
• Effective written and oral communication skills
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.