Overview & Job Duties:
Work in a joint capacity with Pheasants Forever, Inc. (PF) and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS) staff within South Dakota to assist with development of new and innovative soil health practices and provide guidance as related to programs that can offer assistance for implementation of soil health practices. Provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever and other local partners to influence habitat management efforts and participate in statewide habitat meetings. Attend appropriate USDA and Pheasants Forever training and assist in coordinating technical assistance efforts throughout South Dakota. This position will also spend a significant time working with partners on the issue of saline and sodic soils impacting soil productivity.
This announcement is for 1 NEW position located within South Dakota. Work will be conducted throughout the state of South Dakota dependent on meetings, research, and program activity. The incumbent is an employee of Pheasants Forever, Inc. and will receive primary supervision from Pheasants Forever with daily instruction provided by the local USDA-NRCS staff. The incumbent will serve as a go to resource and become the leading voice for soil health and its role in providing habitat for wildlife AND producer goals. The incumbent will work closely with USDA NRCS, South Dakota GFP, and other agency and NGO staff to coordinate workshops/tours and other outreach related to soil health and best management practices.
• Provide technical assistance (biology focus) and guidance to private landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations and other groups as to current soil health practices and principles. The positions will also receive training on other USDA NRCS Conservation Programs, Pheasants Forever, SDGFP and other local and state programs that relate to soil health.
• Coordinate the implementation and application of biological sciences within current and future USDA programs in cooperation with the local NRCS, District Conservationist, SDGFP private lands biologist, PF Biologists, and others.
• Plan and coordinate workshops and tours to producers and resource professionals on the latest and most up to date soil health practices and their wildlife and producer benefits.
• Communicates program requirements as related to soil health practices, completes site visits to determine eligibility, and develops contracts/plans for applicants/participants for the USDA, NRCS Conservation Programs and other local and state programs.
• Coordinate with other groups active in soil health and provide leadership to work in a unified voice.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Experience Guideline: A Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management, Range Science, Agricultural Science or closely related natural resources field is required. Demonstrated experience with USDA farm bill programs is preferred and an understanding of local agricultural practices is very beneficial.
To Apply: Visit our website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please include your cover letter, resume and 3 references as 1 word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled.