Application Deadline: February 2nd, 2018
Anticipated Start Date: March 19th, 2018
Overview & Job Duties:
Pheasants Forever Inc. & Quail Forever is seeking an experienced biologist to assist in delivering conservation programs and projects within the state of Kansas. The selected candidate will work collaboratively with partner staff to deliver both the Regional Conservation Partnership Program- “Kansas Wetland Easements” and the Kansas Prairie III NAWCA, focused on restoring and enhancing wetland and associated upland habitats throughout the State of Kansas. Program delivery will be focused primarily on the Playa Lakes region of Western Kansas with additional responsibilities throughout the state of Kansas, as needed. The selected candidate will be involved with the acquisition, protection, enhancement, and restoration of wetlands and associated upland habitats important to migrating waterfowl, upland wildlife and other associated species.
This position will be located within the KDWPT Public Contact Office located in Colby, Kansas and will provide conservation technical assistance and conservation program delivery to private landowners throughout Western Kansas and other priority areas as appropriate. The incumbent will work in a joint capacity with USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Ducks Unlimited (DU), Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT), Kansas Alliance for Wetlands and Streams (KAWS) and other State and Federal partners to promote, facilitate enrollment, and coordinate the implementation of the RCPP, NAWCA and other wildlife related conservation programs. Activities will include program application assistance, program coordination and promotion (workshops and one on one meetings), contract coordination, conservation planning, conservation plan modification, site assessment and reporting. Incumbents will provide technical biological assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Work with local chapters of Pheasants Forever (PF) and other local partners to increase habitat management efforts and participate in regional and statewide habitat meetings. Assist or coordinate activities and projects with other PF, DU, KAWS, KDWPT and NRCS staff. These positions will be employees of, and supervised by Pheasants Forever, Inc. & Quail Forever, with daily instruction and leadership provided by PF, DU and KDWPT. These positions will work in close coordination with KDWPT Area Biologist staff, NRCS and other partners to deliver the RCPP.
Desired Knowledge. Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners, partner agencies and colleagues.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, prescribed fire, and grassland, wetland and early succession habitat management. Experience with wetland management and restoration techniques is highly desirable.
• Ability to convey the use of various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife habitat programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Knowledge of or practical experience with agricultural systems, farming and ranching.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Demonstrated ability as a leader with a high degree of self-motivation.
• Proficiency with ArcGIS and/or other spatial mapping programs
• Conflict resolution skills.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle may be required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Must be able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Education and Experience Preferred: A minimum requirement for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and three years of relevant experience. Wildlife Society Certification and graduate work will also be considered. Proven experience working with USDA Farm Bill programs (i.e. EQIP, CSP, ACEP, CRP and CREP) is preferred.
Starting Salary: Commensurate with Experience + Health Benefits and Retirement Package
To Apply: Visit our website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please include your cover letter, resume and 3 references as a single Microsoft Word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
For additional questions, contact: Chris McLeland, South Region Director, firstname.lastname@example.org or (573) 355-6530.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled