Enjoy working with kids? Like crafts and tinkering? Have social media or graphic design experience? Dazzling Discoveries is looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to teach hands-on science lessons for kids and to run our social media platforms. We have two locations in Manhattan's Upper West Side: our children center/event space (Dazzling Discoveries) and our maker-space complete with 3-D printers and a laser cutter (Skill Mill NYC). We run classes and camps out of both locations.
This position is an opportunity to participate in a successful, growing science and tech education program. This is a diverse role that includes teaching science to kids, graphic design work, and handling our social media sites. Some science and/or simple electricity and robotics background is helpful but not necessary. We are looking for a creative individual who loves “making things”, working with children, and wants a big role in a small successful organization.
We are looking for enthusiastic people who have experience working with groups of children. We do require all staff to pass a background check prior to employment. The program is based in Manhattan (New York City), so employees must live within commuting distance of the city.
Responsibilities and Duties:
This is a multifaceted position and has many different components, here is a general list of the different roles and responsibilities our employees have:
- Teach after-school K-5 science classes
- Help develop curriculum for hands-on science and engineering classes
- Write and edit lesson plans
- Run social media platforms and website
- Design and create different promotional materials
- Communicate with parents and school staff
Please send a resume AND cover letter. Cover letters are essential, resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
- Experience working with groups of children
- Some familiarity with science, engineering and/or electronics
- Experience with graphic design and/or running social media platforms
- Detail oriented - attention to details critical for this job
- Able to write clearly and concisely
- Interest in working in a non-traditional education environment
- Comfortable with technology and interest in learning new skills
- Comfortable with social media and some graphic design
- Creative, handy, enjoy crafts
- Able to assist with some record keeping and administrative tasks
- General assistance with all aspects of the program. Must be willing to help with any and all operational tasks