Crew Leader – Little Fire Ant Control, Guam

Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML)
Job Category
Full time Positions
$43,000 - $50,000 annually
Start Date
Last Date to Apply
The Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML) has an open Crew Leader – Little Fire Ant Control position in Guam. For full position details and to submit application materials, please visit: Emailed or mailed applications will not be accepted. CSU is an EO/EA/AA employer and conducts background checks on all final candidates. One Little Fire Ant (LFA) Control Crew Leader position is available with Colorado State University (CSU) Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML). This is a 40-hour week appointment located on Guam, but deployment to other project areas within the Joint Region Marianas Area of Responsibility (JRM AOR) may be occasionally be required. Relocation expenses are not available for this position. The majority of the work will be conducted on US military bases. The LFA Control Crew Leader will be responsible for leading a crew of at least two biological technicians in conducting invasive species control, interdiction, surveys, and other duties. To accomplish these duties, the Crew Leader will maintain close liaisons with the Supervisory Entomologist, Navy project sponsors, and other DoD personnel. The Crew Leader will also be responsible for managing invasive species management and monitoring data, preparing reports and regulatory documents, and managing pesticide safety protocols. A team-oriented approach, flexibility and a positive attitude is a must. This position is a temporary appointment for the period of at least one year, or until project tasks are completed, not to exceed eighteen months.
Required: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in biological sciences, natural resource management, forestry, botany, agriculture, horticulture, wildlife biology, zoology, or similar science-related focus. A High School diploma or General Education Development (GED) plus 4 years of equivalent professional experience in natural resources management may be substituted for the education requirement. At least two (2) years’ work experience within any of the above disciplines. At least one year of this work must consist of fieldwork involving the accurate recording, entering, and proofing of field data. Experience needs to be well-documented and acquired under the employment of an academic institution, governmental agency, a private company, or non-profit organization in the appropriate field. Must have at least 8 months of experience supervising field crews. This experience can be acquired concurrently with the two years of work experience described above. Must be capable of walking several consecutive miles while carrying gear and performing manual labor in a hot tropical environment on uneven terrain on most days. Demonstrated proficiency using field data collection applications, compasses, maps, data tablet computers, smartphones, and GPS units. Ability to deploy from Guam to locations in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, sometimes on short notice. Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date. Must be willing to submit for NACI background check to obtain a DOD Common Access Card. Preferred: Two (2) years of work experience with implementing methods for operational control of invasive species including chemical, biological and/or mechanical control techniques. Experience working in the Pacific region or other island ecosystems in the biological, natural resources, or agricultural fields. Experience implementing control methods for little fire ants or other alien insect species, including chemical, biological and/or mechanical control techniques. Taxonomic knowledge of arthropods and the ability to identify arthropod pest species. Experience working on a military installation, interacting with headquarters-level staff, and familiarity with DOD/Navy environmental and safety regulations. Hold a Guam CORE pest control applicator’s license or commensurate license(s) in other US states or territories.
Contact Person
Tom Mathies
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.