We are seeking a dynamic leader to serve as the Deputy Director of the U.S. Geological Survey Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center (UMESC). The incumbent provides scientific and technical leadership to enable staff to effectively and efficiently conduct high-priority research and transfer their results to natural resource agency partners and the Public. The mission of UMESC is to address the Department of the Interior biological resource science needs in the upper Midwest. UMESC also coordinates its research with other USGS Science Centers, other Federal and state agencies, universities, and non-governmental organizations to broadly address ecological and societal issues of concern throughout the Nation's heartland. For more information about the UMESC, please visit https://www.usgs.gov/centers/umesc.
• Assists the Center Director to manage a broad, multi-disciplinary program (~$21M annually) of biological research, inventory and monitoring, and information management funded through USGS appropriations and reimbursable funding agreements.
• Assists the Center Director in certifying the scientific merit of the Center's programs and for overseeing consistent application of Department and Bureau policy.
• Assists the Center Director in planning, coordinating and implementing natural resource partnerships with federal, tribal, state and local government agencies and institutions, academic institutions, nongovernmental organizations and private entities interested in the status and management of biological resources.
• Assists the Center Director in reviews of study plans and publications to ensure compliance with USGS Fundamental Sciences Practices and to assure overall quality and to identify potential sensitive issues at the department, national, agency, and regional levels; advises the Center Director of potential sensitive issues and products.
• Oversees the implementation of the USGS Quality Management System within UMESC.
Qualifications Outlined on the Job Site listed below:
How to apply: Please visit USA Jobs website at https://www.usajobs.gov/
Open to Public: USGS-RES-20-10919784-DE-DG
Merit Promotion: USGS-RES-21-10936376-ST-DG
Opening and closing dates: 11/02/20 to 12/02/20
Additional Information: Please contact Domenik Gonzalez-Santos at email@example.com or 703-648-7416 with any questions about this opportunity.
*THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER*