The Development Director (DD) is responsible for coordinating all fundraising activities supporting NICHES Land Trust’s mission, with the goal of increasing overall annual contributions and grant funding to meet or exceed the annual budget and strategic objectives. The DD functions as the primary major and planned gifts fundraiser, grant writer, and donor database manager. The DD leads the Development Committee alongside the committee chair. The DD will maintain engagement with the Board of Directors, foundations, donors, businesses, and volunteers. The DD works closely with and is supervised by the Executive Director (ED). The DD will also participate in the planning and implementation of marketing and outreach to support all fundraising efforts, including leading social media outreach.
NICHES has an annual operating budget of $635,000 with additional funds raised annually for acquisitions and endowment growth. NICHES is on track to meet the ambitious goals in our strategic plan, including having 8,000 acres protected by 2030 and a stewardship facility constructed in the next few years. The DD is a member of NICHES’ leadership team and is key to achieving these goals. The DD is responsible for embodying NICHES’ core values and operating within standards and practices to uphold our accreditation status through the Land Trust Accreditation Commission. The DD confidently communicates about NICHES’ mission-focused programs, inspires donors to make gifts, and helps donors navigate a variety of giving opportunities.
Location: Lafayette, Indiana. NICHES headquarters is located at Clegg Memorial Gardens.
Team members must be willing to occasionally travel across our service area for meetings with donors, events, and other work duties and across the state to meet with regional partners.
Start Date: April 1, 2023, or sooner
Salary: $50-60,000 annually, based on experience. This is an exempt, salaried position at 40 hours/week.
Benefits: NICHES accrues vacation and sick paid time off (2 weeks each for the first year of employment), 10 paid holidays, and retirement benefits. NICHES matches up to a 3% contribution to a simple IRA.
For conservation and the mission, goals, and values of NICHES Land Trust:
• Outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to meet new people easily and quickly earn their confidence, including staff, Board Members, donors, government agency and private foundation staff, and media
• 3-5 years of experience (minimum) in nonprofit, foundation, association fundraising, or other similar business development
• Commitment to environmental stewardship and NICHES’ mission
• Demonstrated experience with grant writing, capital campaigns, annual giving, major giving, and planned giving
• Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, business, or other relevant fields
• Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with fundraising constituents
• Experience in asking for and closing gifts of $10,000 or more
• Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors
• Desire to work in a highly collaborative team-based environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Self-directed, assertive, with high levels of energy and initiative
• strong skills in written and oral communications
• Strong organizational skills and time management, including the ability to manage multiple priorities and activities at a time and delegate effectively and motivate others
• Experience, coursework, other training, and knowledge of best practices and emerging trends in development work
• Demonstrated proficiency in budgeting, financial management, and project management Ability to utilize the organization’s resources efficiently and promote growth
• Knowledge of fundraising software, preferably Blackbaud’s Razor’s Edge, and other support tools
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and SharePoint