The Development Director is responsible for planning and leading fundraising efforts for Wallowa Resources (WR) in cooperation and collaboration with the Executive Director, WR staff, and the Board of Directors. The position designs and implements strategic initiatives for developing strong major donor programs, generating corporate gifts and events, strengthening individual gifts and solicitations, and cultivating foundation grants. The Development Director maintains strong relationships with donors and community partners, and provides ongoing guidance and advice to other WR program managers on fundraising and development as requested. The position supervises the Communications Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develops an annual fundraising plan and budget with the Executive Director and the board’s Development Committee. Tracks performance and reports back to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors as appropriate.
• Working closely with the Executive Director, leads the cultivation and solicitation of individual donors and corporate supporters. Maintains relationships with current supporters and cultivates new prospects.
• Helps write and track grants to private foundations for general operating support and capital improvement projects. Collects data and prepares grant reports.
• Supervises the Communications Coordinator and work to build a strong brand strategy for WR that is central to all of our messaging. Works with the Coordinator to maintain an up-to-date mailing list; conduct mailings; communicate with WR's constituency; and creatively and appropriately position development opportunities and integrate messages in publications, grant submissions, reports, and other materials to inform and cultivate donors.
• Promotes WR’s image and development opportunities by being active and visible in the community and by attending community events, making presentations, and connecting with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
• Maintains a donor database and prepares reports as needed. Reconciles the database with WR's accounting system on a monthly and annual basis. Sends thank you notes and receipts to donors.
• Provides support to the board's Development Committee in order to implement board-driven donor cultivation events and fundraising events such as house parties and the Barn Dance.
• Coordinates with other WR program managers and directors on fundraising strategies and results, and provides ongoing guidance, advice, and expertise as needed.
• Works collaboratively with the Finance and Operations Manager, Grant Administrator, and other program managers to monitor compliance with terms, conditions, and requirements of donations and grants.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The following are desired to successfully perform the Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Communications, Public Relations, or related field or equivalent relevant experience, preferred.
• Three years of experience of fundraising within philanthropic and/or nonprofit organizations including writing grant proposals, developing marketing campaigns, managing donor relations, and building strong professional networks, preferred. Demonstrated success in achieving development goals.
• Ability to design and produce accurate and well-designed reports that effectively communicate donor and financial information.
• A valid Oregon Driver’s License and an acceptable driving record according to WR’s auto liability policy requirements.
• Must consistently demonstrate teamwork and positive day-to-day work relationships and interactions with staff, board members, members of the public, and community stakeholders.
Environment and Physical Requirements: The Development Director works primarily in an office environment; however, the position may occasionally visit field locations including parks, forests, farms, ranches and other outdoor locations. Those outdoor locations are subject to a variety of extreme weather conditions including heat, rain, snow, wind, and dust. The position travels regularly by car and may occasionally have overnight travel. The Development Director interacts constantly with staff, visitors, vendors, government agencies, and others. The position sits, stands, walks, bends, lifts, stoops, and moves intermittently during working hours. The incumbent must be able to lift, push, pull and move files and other equipment in excess of 15 pounds.
Hours: The Development Director works between the typical office hours of 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m., Monday through Friday.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: This job description is a summary of the essential duties and responsibilities for this job, and it does not necessarily represent an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities, tasks or procedures. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. Nothing in this description restricts WR’s right to assign or reassign duties at any time.
Accommodation Statement: Essential job duties and responsibilities are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform the job successfully, an incumbent or applicant must possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform each essential duty and responsibility proficiently. If you require an accommodation in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, please contact the WR Executive Director.
Wallowa Resources is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume and three professional references to Joni Maasdam, Finance Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until August 31, 2017.