American Bird Conservancy
Title: Development Officer
Supervisor: Vice President of Development
Location: Flexible; preference for Washington, DC; The Plains, VA; and/or Great Lakes Region
Submission Deadline: November 20, 2020
Please submit your resume to Bamboo HR by November 20, 2020.
This is a full-time position with American Bird Conservancy (ABC). American Bird Conservancy is a fast-growing, results-focused wildlife conservation non-profit seeking employees with an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to make a difference for birds throughout the Americas. ABC takes on the greatest problems facing birds today, innovating and building on rapid advancements in science to halt extinctions, protect habitats, eliminate threats, and build capacity for bird conservation.
The ABC Development Officer serves as a lead fundraiser for discrete ABC programs. Development Officers at ABC are integral members of program teams, and, in addition to raising funds, provide input into project planning and implementation.
1. Lead and coordinate fundraising efforts to meet or exceed annual and long-term fundraising goals.
2. Identify and cultivate prospective donors.
3. Develop and submit well-written proposals and reports.
4. Help maintain program budgets in coordination with Grants Officers and the Finance Division.
5. Provide input into conservation planning and project implementation.
6. Develop and coordinate fundraising appointments, dinners, events, and field trips.
7. Keep Board members and major donors informed of ABC programs and needs through regular updates, special appeals, and special publications.
8. Maintain donor tracking systems and provide reminders to program staff of upcoming deadlines and donor-anticipated products.
9. Assist with projects as requested by the President or Vice President of Development.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least three years’ experience in fundraising, communications, marketing, or related work, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
• Strong leadership skills.
• Strategic thinker.
• Excellent organizational skills and successful experience managing complex activities.
• Outgoing and flexible personality.
• Entrepreneurial outlook.
• Ability, willingness, and eagerness to contact donors and build relationships with a variety of funders.
• Proficiency with computers and software, including Excel. Proficiency with CRM helpful.
• Ability to work independently, efficiently and accurately, while maintaining deadlines.
• Ability to work well as part of a team.
• Ability to work with a wide range of people at all levels.
• Sense of humor.
• Willingness to travel.
• Willingness to work some nights and weekends.
• Proficiency in graphic design a plus.
• Proficiency in both online and direct mail fundraising a plus.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of donor information.
• Must be authorized to work in the US.
• Ability to speak and write in Spanish preferred