Director of Animal Care
• Quality care and treatment of all wildlife patients.
• Compliance with applicable state and federal regulations.
• Maintain a positive learning environment for Animal Care staff, interns, and volunteers.
General Position Guidelines:
The Director of Animal Care is responsible for the care, treatment, and release of wildlife patients according to accepted standards and documented procedures. This position is also responsible for compliance with required state and federal reporting, procedures, including annual admission/disposition statistics, drug usage reporting, and any other directives issued by agencies governing the animal care activities of the Wildlife In Need Center.
• Ultimate responsibility for husbandry, exams, care, treatment, and release of wildlife.
• Performs or delegates examinations, basic diagnostic procedures, and treatment plans for incoming patients. Provides second opinion to Animal Care staff when necessary for the previously stated tasks.
• Ultimate responsibility to determine final disposition of wild patients, to evaluate and ensure timely and appropriate euthanasia, transfer or release of all wildlife patients.
• Ultimate responsibility for vet case approvals, surgery decisions and medical treatments.
• Ultimate responsibility for overseeing general medical and food inventory and purchasing within budget.
• Monitor, identify, perform and supervise enclosure and facility construction/maintenance needs, and assist in planning new animal care operations.
• Ensure that protocols for infection/disease control are being followed by Animal Care staff, volunteers and interns.
• Supervisory responsibility for Animal Care volunteers.
• Responsibility for the accuracy of required patient drug use documentation and recording. Assist in reporting to state and federal agencies with Director of Operations.
• Collaborate with Development Committee and Executive Director to secure new funding for Animal Care and Facebook fundraisers.
• Work to identify areas in animal care budget where money can be saved.
• Oversee Animal Care staffing. Supervisory responsibility for training, hiring, mentoring and evaluating of Animal Care staff.
• Oversee or delegate Animal Care volunteer program and scheduling. Assist in scheduling, presenting or delegate new adult volunteer orientations. Assist in scheduling new volunteers for training with previously appointed volunteer trainers. Maintain and post Animal Care volunteer schedules.
• Oversee mammal nursery.
• Oversee all aspects avian nursery.
• Release programs point person.
• Oversee Animal Care intern program. Responsibility for the recruitment, hiring, and evaluating of Animal Care interns. Provide evaluations for interns completing internship for school credit.
• Assist with maintaining WINC’s social media presence on our website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
• Stay current on new methods, procedures and protocols that can be implemented by the organization. Adjust policies and procedure as needed.
• Assist all staff in providing proper enrichment and medical care to WINC’s educational ambassadors.
• Responsible for accurate completion of admission paperwork and data entry.
• Actively participate in the Rehabilitation and Research Committee.
• Provide support to the Executive Director, Director of Operations and Board of Directors.
Education, Experience, Requirements:
• Degree in Animal Science, Veterinary Sciences , zoology, or other animal-related field preferred
• Wisconsin or other state Wildlife Rehabilitation License, Basic minimum, Advanced preferred.
• 2-3+ years of wildlife rehabilitation experience.
• 2+ years of managerial, leadership or supervisory experience
• Documentation of the individual’s completion of a board approved euthanasia by injection course.
• Must have current rabies pre-exposure vaccinations or willing to get the rabies pre-exposure vaccinations.
• Must be able to lift/move 50 pounds, endure long workdays in a physically and emotionally demanding setting while maintaining focus, accuracy and physical activities required by the job.
This position is available immediately. This is a full-time salaried professional position reporting to the Executive Director. Primary hours vary during the week and do include some holidays as well as working events. This position is available immediately. Benefits include a discount on WINC wear, Paid Time Off defined in the employee handbook, event ticket discount as well as a complimentary education program. Salary is commensurate with experience. To apply, email detailed cover letter, resume, availability, contact information for three references, and salary expectations by March 8, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org