The Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Conservancy (LRWC) seeks an energetic and engaging Director of Environmental Education to manage and execute our education outreach programs. The Director of Environmental Education will:
• Assume responsibility for the development, coordination, and presentation of youth, adult, and family environmental education programs at LRWC, in local classrooms, on-line and at special events.
• Assist with the supervision and training of volunteers and student interns.
• Train imprinted education birds.
• Handle and care for birds utilized in education programs.
• Work well in a team and support peers.
• Create and publish the monthly Avian Update.
• Assist in the daily updates of the Conservancy's social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
• Bachelor’s Degree in biological science, environmental studies, nature interpretation, science education or equivalent, and a minimum of three years’ experience working with children or adolescents in an educational or recreational activity setting. Master's degree preferred.
• Background in environmental education, including work with a wide range of audiences. Teaching experience is preferred.
• Must possess the ability and knowledge to design and carry out environmental education programs that incorporate information on waterfowl, wetland habitats, adaptation and biodiversity.
• Experience with distance learning is preferred/required.
• Some experience in avian or other husbandry preferred since handling birds is necessary.
• Possess strong interpersonal skills, strong public speaking and writing abilities as well as the ability to create presentations and slideshows.
• Proficient in MSWord, Excel and PowerPoint, and with an aptitude for learning new software.
• Attention to detail and ability to prioritize time and manage multiple projects and deadlines is critical, along with strong initiative and work ethic.
• Valid driver’s license is required.
• Applicants must be comfortable working outdoors in all seasons and in close association with birds.