Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking an experienced land trust manager to fill the position of full time Director of Stewardship.
Mohonk Preserve, located in Ulster County, NY is a non-profit organization whose mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The Preserve manages 8,000 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY through four integrated programs – Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a regional model for large-scale conservation planning. We have an annual budget of $4 million, 36 year-round staff, over 350 volunteers, and a diverse support base of over 16,000 members.
The successful candidate:
• Is a senior level manager responsible for providing the vision, leadership, strategic planning, managing, budgeting, and implementing the overall Stewardship program including oversight of Rangers, Visitor Services and Facilities.
• Oversees the management of the land including implementing the Land Management Plan in coordination with Conservation Science and Land Protection.
• Will plan and implement applied natural resource management initiatives including but not limited to vista management, watershed planning, trail proposals/design & assessment; field mowing; prescribed fire management, applied forest management.
• Perform routine patrol of the Preserve's facilities, grounds, remote areas and boundaries as necessary.
• As Project Manager, oversee site analysis, planning and design for all facilities’ projects on Preserve owned lands.
• Ensure regular maintenance of facilities, carriage roads, trails, entry facilities, including upkeep of road and trail surfaces, and erosion control.
• Oversee regular maintenance of foot trails, public walkways, directional and trail signage, and support snow removal.
• Maintain cooperative relationships with outside agencies of the State, County, local municipalities and civic groups on matters of mutual interest.
• Cooperate with public safety officials in emergency response situations such as search and rescue and fire-fighting, etc.
• Perform stewardship & facilities work in close cooperation with the Chief Ranger and the Associate Director of Facilities & Grounds.
The Director reports to the Vice President & CFO.
The Director supervises the Chief Ranger, Associate Director of Facilities & Grounds, Associate Director of Visitor Services, and has department oversight of the Rangers, Trailhead Assistants, Stewardship/Facilities staff, Interns and Volunteers.
Full job description at: http://mohonkpreserve.org/director-of-stewardship
Excellent work environment with benefits including health, vision, dental, life, disability insurance, retirement plan, and access privileges to the lands of the Preserve and the Mohonk Mountain House resort.
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
No phone calls please.
For more information about the Preserve, visit our website: www.mohonkpreserve.org
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resource Management, Forestry, Environmental Science or similar field, Master’s Degree preferred;
• Minimum five years’ experience in park management leading teams and managing land stewardship & facilities programs with a non-profit land trust or public park with high public visitation;
• Experience in natural resources management.
• Knowledge of land trust project funding, natural resource conservation, ecosystem restoration, invasive species management and land and facilities management;
• Superior supervisory/people management skills, including ability to lead and motivate staff and volunteers;
• Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification;
• Search and Rescue (SAR) skills; Incident Command Structure.
• Exemplary communication abilities including written, oral, and presentation skills; experience communicating with partner organizations;
• Field mapping experience; ability to read and evaluate physical and cultural landscape elements
• Knowledge (or willingness to learn quickly) the cultural and natural history of the area and the Preserve;
• Experience working with landowners; civic groups; Town, County, State agencies & their processes, and the community at large;
• Ability to set and implement priorities, manage multiple projects, and evaluate project success
• Experience with budget preparation
• Willingness to work occasional irregular hours, including weekends, evenings and/or holidays
• There is a significant fieldwork component to this position. Ability to navigate and traverse deep back country, off-trail land conditions, sometimes extremely rugged mountain terrain while carrying equipment for up to eight hours at a time in all weather conditions.
Advanced computer & technology skills:
• Strong experience with cartography software/hardware (e.g. GPS units & GIS software, ArcGIS)
• Proficiency in all standard office productivity software including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project (or similar), Outlook or similar email application, and internet research
• Strong relational database experience
• Ability to read and interpret architectural, engineering, CAD and/or shop drawings
Send hard copy cover letter & resume before January 29, 2018 to:
Vice President/CFO, Mohonk Preserve, P.O. Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561
Applications in Adobe PDF only will be accepted via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org