The Great Basin Institute, in cooperation with the US Forest Service’s Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (LTBMU) is recruiting two Dispersed Recreation Technicians to support the recreation program by contacting and providing information to the public while performing maintenance duties at numerous recreation sites around Lake Tahoe.
• Provides detailed information about recreation opportunities to Forest visitors. Informs the public about resource management practices, regulations and current conditions.
• Assures recreation sites and areas are operated and maintained in accordance with operation and maintenance plans. Schedules daily activities, establishes sanitation schedules, and inspects cleanup operations based on recreation operation and maintenance plans. Reports on conditions and use of sites and areas.
• Inspects recreation areas, areas of concentrated public use, and special use permits for compliance with the permit and the management plans, public health, and safety.
• Patrols wilderness to ensure areas are operated, used and maintained in accordance with Wilderness Management Plan. Cleans both roadside and/or backcountry dispersed sites. Naturalizes sites where necessary in order to control use and prevent resource damage. Installs and maintains information boards, travel signs, regulatory signs and other signs associated with recreation sites, travel management and safety.
• Performs safety hazard analyses of public recreation use areas and takes or recommends corrective action.
• 19-week appointment beginning in late May
• Full time (40 hours/week)
The Lake Tahoe Basin is located in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range and spans across 6 counties and 2 states (Placer, Eldorado, Alpine counties in California; Douglas, Washoe, and Carson City counties in Nevada). The forest is managed by the US Forest Service, specifically the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit. The LTBMU includes portions of the Eldorado, Tahoe and Humbolt-Toiyabe National Forests. Opportunities for all-season recreation abound in this region. The Technicians will be based in South Lake Tahoe, CA and will report to the LTBMU Unit Supervisor’s Office.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Total Living Allowance: up to $9,660 (Approximately $1,010 biweekly before taxes)
• Segal AmeriCorps Education Award: $2,360 (Upon successful completion, the award may be used for past, present or future educational expenses, including payment of qualifying federal student loans and Title IV accredited college tuition.)
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance available at no cost
• Knowledge of and/or interest in forest recreation area operation, maintenance and use regulations (applicants with prior experience working with the USFS and/or LTBMU encouraged to apply);
• Ability to think creatively about and implement solutions to matters related to maintenance of facilities and infrastructure;
• Ability to work and coordinate with other resource professionals, program managers, and the general public;
• Ability to self-motivate and maintain a positive attitude;
• Ability to walk long distances in challenging terrain and harsh and rapidly changing mountainous conditions, and otherwise be in good physical condition;
• Ability to operate a 4WD vehicle on or off paved roads; and
• Ability to work on a variety of different projects with changing priorities.
• Possess a valid, state-issued driver’s license and clean driving record; and
• Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, (2) eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards), (3) pass National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW) and federal criminal background checks, (4) adhere to the rules, regulations and code of conduct as specified in the Member Service Agreement; and (5) not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the Member Service Agreement.
How to Apply:
Please visit our employment web page to apply directly through our online portal:
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.