Position Title: District Technician
Position Location: Big stone SWCD, Ortonville, MN Employment Terms: Full-time position
Application Deadline: Wednesday, January 31st, 2018 by 3pm
Salary: $15 to $20 per hour DOE plus benefits
Hours: 8:00 – 4:30 Mon–Fri with occasional nights & weekends
The Big Stone Soil & Water Conservation District is accepting applications for a District Technician. Under the supervision of the District Manager, the District Technician assists landowners in implementing practices on private lands that benefit the environment. Position will work side by side with the SWCD, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, and the Farm Service Agency.
1. Implement all aspects of the tree program including inventory, planting and fabric mulch application. Schedule meetings with landowners for planning, layout, and design of tree planting plans, complete and organize plans, order appropriate trees; maintain records of designs, plans, and final trees planted. Be able to identify many tree and shrub species and associated diseases.
2. Coordinate the District no-till drill program and keep drill and all other equipment and facilities in operating condition.
3. Conduct site assessments of conservation practices to see that they are completed according to technical specifications.
4. Process cost-share applications in coordination with conservation plans.
5. Provide assistance with educational and promotional programs; compose relevant articles for newsletters as requested.
6. Manage the well monitoring program by taking monthly readings and reporting results on DNR website.
7. Attend regular training and meetings to stay updated on program rules and requirements.
8. Marketing and consultation with farmers, landowners, schools, sportsmen groups, and other organizations about conservation programs that achieve clean water, grass and wetland cover.
9. Keep records of land use activities and maintain landowner records of conservation practices.
10. Assist in coordination and implementation of MN buffer law compliance.
11. Work with Big Stone County LGU and other TEP members for all Wetland Conservation Act (WCA) determinations and/or violations.
12. Assist in grant writing and reporting.
13. Operate GPS and survey equipment in the field and in the office
14. Research new opportunities for the district to implement &
15. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
• Must pass Federal Background check
• Must be able to gain Job Approval Authority through Natural Resources Conservation Service. Trainings will be provided but will require some overnight travel.
• Associates degree or above in a related field will be required.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must have basic keyboarding, telephone, and computer skills. Programs used include Windows XP, MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer, and ArcGIS.
• Commercial Pesticide Applicators license will be prioritized
• Must have a basic understanding of design, survey, and construction of conservation practices.
• Civil engineering experience will be prioritized.
• Grant writing experience will be prioritized.
• Must be physically able to operate survey equipment, a variety of machinery and equipment utilized in performing essential functions behind a large tractor.
• Must be able to lift and maneuver 85 pounds routinely during the day.
• Ability to exert heavy physical effort in varying weather conditions, typically involving some combination of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling, all of which on uneven terrains.
Training and experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Visit our website at www.bigstoneswcd.org or contact the office at 320-839-6121 for an application. Additional information can be obtained by emailing email@example.com
Paper applications will be accepted until 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 31st, 2018. Please include application form (from website), cover letter and resume. If selected for an interview please bring a writing example of your choice to demonstrate your writing ability.
Mail or deliver application materials to:
Big Stone SWCD
990 US HWY 12
Ortonville, MN 56278
Big Stone SWCD is an equal opportunity employer