The Montana Audubon Center in Billings, Montana is looking for a part-time educator to work in its Fledglings Nature Preschool. Our preschool uses emergent-curriculum principles and the students spend 80% of their time outdoors at the Center, which is in an upper riparian area near the Yellowstone River. Class size is limited to 8 students and are 1/2 days for two or three days/week. Position is for the 2019-2020 school year but may be combined with summer work at the Center.
● Supervision and instruction of groups of up to 12 youth, ages 2-5, in the outdoors and in the
● Provide a safe and positive environment for all program participants, including awareness of
physical abilities, environmental hazards, and group dynamics.
● Assistance with program registration, processing of payment and other administrative duties
related to education programs.
● Development and/or adaptation of early childhood curriculum and programming for day, week,
month, and year-long program sessions.
● Progress evaluation of students, including in academic and non-academic areas.
● Coordination and communication with parents/guardians of program participants.
● Communication with the general public about Center programs and mission.
● Maintain a quality program, including regular evaluations of both successes and failures in
programming, approach, equipment, or other aspects, and enhance or adapt as necessary.
● Comfort leading and teaching youth ages 2-5 in outdoor settings, including emphasis on risk
management and other executive functions, and learning that emerges from play.
● Experience in Montessori, Interest-led Flow Learning, Reggio, Inquiry Learning, Place-based,
emergent curriculum, or similar educational pedagogies.
● Ability to:
○ Engage in outdoor activity and supervise others in a variety of weather conditions
○ Walk for long distances, crouch, lift up to 50#, and wrangle small children unaided
● Interest and/or specific knowledge of natural history subjects, particularly in the local area.
● Responsible, dependable, and enthusiastic.
● Team-oriented approach as well as the ability to self-motivate and work independently.
To apply: submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to
Carolyn Sevier, Center Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, contact Carolyn via e-mail or