Full Time Naturalist Position on Little St. Simons Island, Georgia
Salary: Hourly wage (TBD) Full time (40 hours per week) Housing and all meals are provided.
Application Deadline/Contact: Deadline is April 24, 2021. Please email a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references in a single document to Nate Ramey (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to April 24th Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Start Date: June 2021
Little St. Simons Island (LSSI) is a privately-owned barrier island in coastal Georgia accessible by boat only. Its Lodge is a destination for as many as 32 overnight guests with extraordinary opportunities for bird watching, wildlife viewing, fishing, hiking, and kayaking. The island is a member of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird
Reserve Network and is recognized internationally as an Important Bird Area.
As a naturalist, your primary focus would be facilitating the many activities offered by the lodge for overnight guests; birding, hiking, fishing, kayaking, etc.
Basic Job Responsibilities:
• Primary focus is Natural history education programs in: bird watching, reptiles, coastal plant communities, marine invertebrates, fishing, and conservation.
• Cleaning and maintenance of equipment: vehicles, kayaks, motorized skiffs, fishing equipment, bicycles (bike mechanic knowledge a plus), optical equipment et cet.
• Giving occasional presentations concerning Natural History topics related to Coastal Georgia.
• Trail and road maintenance.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Housing and meals provided
• Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance
• 401K Plan with match
• Paid vacation/holidays
• Outgoing personality: strong communication and leadership skills. Abundant enthusiasm. Ability to self-manage and prioritize tasks without direct supervision.
• B.S. degree in Biology or related field.
• Driver’s license.
• Working knowledge of: bird and reptile identification, saltwater fishing (spin, fly, surf), kayaking skills, plant communities of the coastal plain habitat.
• Computer literate in Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint.
• The position requires that the successful applicant live on a small private island with limited boat access.
• Due to our unique situation and limited accommodations we are unable to accommodate spouses/children.
• No pets are permitted on the island.
• CPR, first aid certified.
• Ability to lift and carry 75 pounds.
• Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, humidity, biting insects, unpleasant odors
Application Submission: Please email a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references in a single document to Nate Ramey (email@example.com) prior to April 24th 2021. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.