The Department of Fish & Game works to preserve the state's natural resources and people's right to conservation of those resources, as protected by Article 97 of the Massachusetts Constitution. To carry out this mission, the Department exercises responsibility over the Commonwealth's marine and freshwater habitats that support them.
The Division of Ecological Restoration is charged with restoring and protecting the health and integrity of the Commonwealth's rivers, wetlands, and watersheds for the benefit of people and the environment. This mission is critical to the success of the Department of Fish and Game that manages, protects, and restores the natural resources of the Commonwealth.
The Division of Ecological Restoration works with community-based partners to restore aquatic ecosystems. The Division’s ecological restoration work brings clean water, recreation opportunities, and other ecosystem services to the citizens of Massachusetts.
The Department of Fish and Game, Division of Ecological Restoration is accepting resumes and applications for the position of Ecological Restoration Specialist (Environmental Analyst II).
A cover letter and resume must be submitted as part of the application process and attached “as relevant” to the requisition.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Environmental Analyst II / Ecological Restoration Specialist serves as an ecological restoration project manager with emphasis on wetland and stream restoration in DER’s Cranberry Bog Restoration Program. The Ecological Restoration Specialist also provides programmatic support for the Cranberry Bog Restoration Program, such as field data collection, assistance with project evaluation, and development of GIS-based tools. This position performs duties in support of DER operations, including monitoring, training, and outreach to partners and stakeholders.
Additional job information can be found: https://massanf.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=1800078U
* A Master’s degree in environmental science, ecology, natural resources, or a related field.
* Three or more years of professional experience in wetland, river and/or other aquatic ecosystem restoration, wetland and river ecology, hydrology, and/or fluvial geomorphology.
* Knowledge and understanding of wetland and stream ecology, restoration ecology, and/or general environmental issues.
* Holistic understanding of ecosystems, including the role of ecological processes, structure, function, connectivity, and disturbance.
* Multi-disciplinary experience with a range of environmental issues.
* Experience reviewing project plans, working as part of project teams, preparing and managing budgets, developing grant proposals; developing public support, preparing scopes of work, and managing consultant contracts.
* Knowledge of environmental permitting for ecological restoration at local, state, and federal levels.
* Experience with monitoring and data collection, analysis, and reporting for parameters in aquatic environments.
* Ability to interpret, review, and comment on scientific and technical documents.
* Excellent writing skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate efficiently and effectively.
* Strong inter-personal and verbal communication skills, including ability to listen, demonstrate empathy, motivate, lead, negotiate, and maintain a friendly, positive rapport with colleagues and the public.
* Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment on multiple tasks with varying deadlines.
* Ability to work independently and with self-initiative, and to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
* Exceptional troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
* Experience and full competency with MS Office, including Word and Excel. Excellent all-around computer skills including data management and use of GIS software (ArcMap 10.x) as well as GPS hardware and software.
* Ability to travel statewide and to participate in occasional evening and weekend site visits and meetings.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Possession of a current and valid Class D motor vehicle operator’s license.
To Apply and See more information: https://massanf.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=1800078U
Job remains open until filled but first consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.