General Description and Classification Standards
Individuals in this position ensure professional stewardship of Atlanta’s Natural Resources including Biological, Chemical and Physical aspects of our lands and waters, while delivering excellent customer service. Duties include but are not limited to: Stream and River monitoring and evaluation, Wildlife management, Wetland delineation, Soil sampling, Water sampling, Data analysis, the incumbent will be making decisions on job sites and supervising crew members. This is an experienced technical level position capable of carrying out most assignments typical of the position or specialty with limited guidance or review. This level would be considered a promotional level and attainable by any incumbents in a work group who demonstrate the necessary knowledge, ability, and performance. Could be the only position in this specialty in a work group or could be part of a general or specialized work team.
Some of the work is completed independently; some tasks require working as a team, including the managers and supervisors. Normally receives instruction and direction regarding work assignments and requirements, guidance regarding overall mission, scheduling, unusual priorities, etc. from higher level supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned. Acts as a Supervisor as needed. Assists supervision in crew assignment and leads crew on Natural Resource projects and operations or other duties related to Ecology and land management.
• Complies and collects data for stream assessment reports, MS4 violations and other environmental regulatory compliance information
• Ensures daily job record information is completed properly and accurately and submitted or entered into Hansen Maintenance Management System in a timely manner.
• Utilizes GIS mapping systems, related to field ecology programs
• Operates Boats, ATV vehicle’s, GPS tracking equipment 4WD Trucks, specialty water quality equipment and Total Station Survey
• Performs geomorphology surveys on rivers and streams
• Reports environmental hazards and violations to proper Departments
• Operates handheld GPS Tracking equipment
• Tracks environmental violations
• Supervises environmental restoration projects
• Works with USACE District Office on Regulation and Permitting regarding the CWA (Clean Water Act)
• Provides excellent customer service to citizens and public
• Other related duties as assigned
Decisions made on the job site are normally handled by the Section Manager and by this position as crew lead or as instructed to do so to ensure the safety of crew members and the public. Authorized to communicate work methods, equipment usage, timetables, requirements, etc.
At times, this position may assist with the training of staff and new hires
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
Should have in-depth knowledge of most concepts and methods related to Natural Resource management and evaluation. Must have knowledge of administrative and safety requirements
Ability to walk over rough and uneven terrain, work in inclement weather and carry up to 50lbs.
Skill in operating the following: GPS, Excel, Water monitoring equipment, boats and motors, ATV , Survey equipment.
Skill in performing all typical tasks associated with supervising the operation of stream restoration construction activities.
Ability to train and manage a group of skilled and semi-skilled employees in carrying out technical tasks.
Qualifications - External
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
5 years of work experience in Natural Resource Management
Preferred Education & Experience
Completion of 4-year Degree in Biological Sciences or 5 years of comparable field experience
Licensures and Certifications
Georgia Driver’s License,
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
City of Atlanta is an equal opportunity employer.