Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Education and Outreach Coordinator – Nevada
One Truckee River
In return for their service, AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance of $14,279/year, health benefits during their service, and will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,195.00 upon successful completion of service.
Last Date to Apply
Mission: One Truckee River works to ensure a healthy, thriving, sustainable river connected to the hearts and minds of its community. One Truckee River (OTR) is a collaboration of public and private partners working together to realize a Truckee River that flows clear and clean, quenches our thirst, sustains the river’s natural ecology, cultural resources and wildlife, and connects residents and visitors to unparalleled opportunities for recreation and regeneration.
Position Description: The One Truckee River Outreach Coordinator, an AmeriCorps member, will be an essential member of the OTR team. The member will organize groups and attend events for Truckee River Month in May to focus on the mission of connecting hearts and minds to the Truckee River. Work will also include supporting OTR River Coordinator and Restroom Valet connected to OTR River Restroom Project working with currently homeless river users and within the local low-income urban neighborhood. The outreach efforts are to increase a culture of interest and care for the Truckee River. The AmeriCorps member will also work to expand OTR’s presence in the community through social media, small meetings, and events (online or in person when COVID-19 safe). Frequent weekend work may be required. This person will work to foster engagement and maintain relationships with OTR stakeholders. This position will require 40 hours of service per week, with Federal/State holidays off, and 2 weeks’ vacation.
Monday - Friday, some weekends and evenings for special programs and events.
Timeline for Service: October 2020-August 2021
● Develop and maintain partnerships with Truckee River watershed stakeholders;
● Plan and execute the 5rd annual One Truckee River Month celebration;
● Plan and execute a community-wide River Stories contest and live reading;
● Encourage community members to sign up for OTR quarterly newsletter and social
● Coordinate prizes from local businesses as incentives for events;
● Assist with creation of community solutions within and near Brodhead Park;
● Engage with businesses around Brodhead Park to encourage river engagement;
● Maintain data and records relating to the OTR programs.
● Work with community organizations on mission-driven initiatives such as dog waste, green waste, car wash awareness;
● Support other OTR Management Plan action items when necessary and as skills apply;
● Contribute to social media on a regular basis;
● Assist with fundraising.
● Passionate commitment to OTR’s mission and vision;
● Bachelor’s degree in education, science, or a related field;
● Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
● Exceptional writing skills;
● Strong communication skills;
● Strong organizational skills;
● High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
● Experience working with students, teachers, and volunteers;
● Preferred: strong understanding of education standards and experience in curriculum development;
● Preferred: experience teaching in formal or informal settings;
● Preferred: experience working at or managing summer camp programs;
● Preferred: Reading, writing, and speaking competency in Spanish language.