The Education & Outreach Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of education and outreach programs under the direction of the Director of
Development & Communications. The Coordinator assists in carrying out education and outreach programs adhering to high professional standards, in particular the Standards and Practices of the Land Trust Alliance. Programs developed by the Coordinator are designed to build support for land conservation and increase appreciation, stewardship, awareness, and understanding of our region’s natural resources and efforts to restore and protect them.
As a year-round, full-time position, the Education & Outreach Coordinator will work up to 40 hours/week to develop, implement, and grow TILT’s community offerings including events and education programs, guest speakers and land/water-based activities for all ages.
The responsibilities of the Education & Outreach Coordinator include, but are not limited to the following:
Education & Outreach:
1. Develop, assist, and support TILT’s education/outreach programs, membership activities, and
2. Design, implement and grow TILTreks & Talks and KidsTreks Program and plan/coordinate
3. Support the Director of Development & Communications in community relations activities and
take the lead in community events that support understanding of TILT’s conservation work.
Job Description –Education & Outreach Coordinator
Thousand Islands Land Trust, Inc. P.O. Box 238, 135 John St., Clayton NY 13624
4. Oversee and administer TILT’s Watercraft Inspection Steward Program, which includes the
management of up to (10) seasonal employees.
5. Raise awareness via social media, website and print and other community channels – support all
communications efforts regarding the Land Trust, its mission and the programs it offers.
6. Develop new web-based and social media resources that address priority issues.
7. Recruit, train, organize and recognize a cadre of volunteers to be involved in TILT’s programs.
8. Seek professional development opportunities when relevant and appropriate funding is available.
Administration & Board Support:
1. Assist with fundraising efforts that support TILT’s education and outreach programs.
2. Assist Director of Development & Communications and appropriate board committee(s) in
developing and carrying out TILT’s fundraising program.
3. Develop and maintain contact with other community based organizations to share resources and
collaborate on programs wherever possible.
4. Work with the Director of Development & Communications to identify and develop grant
proposals for environmental education and outreach activities.
The Education & Outreach Coordinator will work indoors at the TILT office and outdoors during TILTreks & Events. Activities will occur on varied terrain and in variable weather conditions. Knowledge of the St. Lawrence River and boating experience is a plus.
1. Commitment to TILT’s mission, principles, values and longevity.
2. Bachelor’s degree in Ecology, Environmental Education, Natural Resource Management, or other related disciplines and 3+ years of experience in communications, outreach, or extension programming, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Enthusiastic, inspiring personality who enjoys working with people; willingness to collaborate as a
team with a wide variety of audiences, including staff, volunteers and interns.
4. Experience managing/supervising employees and/or volunteers desired.
5. Effective public speaking skills; ability to communicate in an outdoor setting.
6. Proficient writing and editing skills; ability to clearly convey information to the general public.
7. Strong organizational skills, ability to multitask, adapt to change and interruptions, work
independently and self-manage, and to prioritize effectively for maximum efficiency.
8. Excellent computer skills; must be familiar with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel.
Database management, social media and electronic newsletter experience preferred.
9. Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, per TILTreks & Events schedule.
10. Graphic design background and professional experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
11. Must be able to meet travel requirements of the position and have reliable transportation as well as have and maintain a valid and unrestricted New York State driver’s license.
Applications are due by March 15th, but will be reviewed as received. Applications will not be reviewed without a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications. Applications should include your resume and three references. Please send to TILT’s Executive Director, Jake Tibbles, at email@example.com. In order to expedite the internal sorting and reviewing process, please write your name (Last, First - Coordinator) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail. More information about the Thousand Islands Land Trust may be found at - www.TILandTrust.org. No phone calls or faxes, please.