JOB PURPOSE: Educator II are responsible for assisting in the development and delivery of interactive, education programming at Chehaw, The Flint RiverQuarium, and Thronateeska. This position is responsible for facilitating positive education interactions in support of each organization’s mission.
All positions may require employees to work some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
• Deliver and assist with education presentations both on and off grounds to general public, weekend programming, school groups, scout groups, overnights, etc.
o Lead on and off grounds programs, some programs utilize ambassador animals or require outdoor safety (on trails at play park)
• Lead groups of campers ages 4-12
o Responsible for developing and delivering camp curricula with supervisory education staff (Lead Educator, Education Curator, or Director of Education)
o Includes daily camp set up, clean up, & record keeping
o Manage camper’s behavior
o Maintain clear communication with parents and other education staff about: behavioral or physical issues, dress code, materials to bring to camp
o Manage youth volunteers helping with camp
• Handle and utilize education animal collection for programming
• Occasionally assist husbandry or supervisory education staff in daily husbandry for education animal collection
• Report and record program attendance, animal behaviors, and other pertinent information to supervisors, directors, and/or site directors
• Work with volunteers (adult and youth)
• Take the supervisory role when working with Educator I and volunteers
• Assist with seasonal special event development and delivery (Halloween, Thanksgiving etc)
• Lead on grounds Birthday Parties as the host which includes:
o Set up & clean for party
o Delivering 30-minute animal presentation
o Interact positively with party guests to guide the party through activities (animal program, cake, presents, and self-guided tour)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT: Must be able to lift 25 pounds regularly and 50 pounds occasionally. Must be able to work outdoors for 90% of the day in all-weather conditions; be able to tolerate strong odors, dust, hay, animal fur, hair, and dander.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the supervisor or other management. Chehaw reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate.
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to the Director of Education, Jackie Entz.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
• One year of post-secondary education in a related field, three seasons, or two years of experience.
• Must be good with public speaking and leading groups of children.
• Must be willing to handle small education animals for programming needs
• Basic computer skills