eeCorps Program Facilitator (Yampatika) – Steamboat Springs, CO
Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education
Steamboat Springs, CO
$8,250 living allowance, plus $3,247.50 education award
Last Date to Apply
Program Overview: Led by the Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE), the Environmental Education Corps (eeCorps) AmeriCorps Program places AmeriCorps members at organizations throughout Colorado to focus on increasing environmental literacy for PreK-12 students and implementing the goals outlined in the Colorado Environmental Education Plan. eeCorps works directly with teachers, schools, and environmental education providers to support them in expanding reach and increasing impact of EE programming, while providing access to equitable learning experiences for all PreK-12 students. AmeriCorps members serving with the eeCorps provide direct service to improve outcomes in Environmental Stewardship and Education. AmeriCorps provides opportunities to improve lives and foster civic engagement across the country.
Service Site Overview: This position will be located at Yampatika in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Yampatika is a 501(c)3 organization connecting people to nature and inspiring environmental stewardship since 1992. They provide science-based education opportunities for children and adults residing in or visiting Northwest Colorado. Their main goal, broadly defined, is to develop environmental learning opportunities that serve youth and adults in northwest Colorado. Most of the programming occurs in the region’s largest community of Steamboat Springs, and additional programming occurs throughout Routt, Moffat, and Rio Blanco counties. Their programming reaches thousands of youth and families annually, and includes pre-K - 12 school programs, out-of-school programs including summer day and overnight camps, special events, informational and educational tables at trailheads and community events, and guided outdoor hikes and tours.
Service Position Summary: The Program Facilitator will support the educational outreach of Yampatika by assisting school programs staff with curriculum development, preparing materials for lessons and outings in the community, and providing instruction to groups. The Program Facilitator will collaborate with the Yampatika team on the diverse opportunities we provide for environmental education to include community events, partnership meetings, summer camp, and adult programming.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities)
eeCorps members engage with their Host Site organizations to develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that will create progress towards eeCorps’ and Yampatika’s goals. These duties include:
● Collaborate with programming teams expand programming and reach more audiences
● Provide support to Yampatika staff
● Participate in a positive and empowering organizational culture
● Grow partnerships with relevant community organizations to further Yampatika’s reach and impact
● Prepare materials and lessons for environmental education programming
● Support Yampatika with Legacy Ranch activities such as Fall Fest, Spring Fest, Water Fest and all seasonal activities
● Collaborate with EE partners in the NW Colorado region
● Complete data collection for Yampatika’s EE programming
● Track progress and collect evaluation data for eeCorps performance measures
● Attend all eeCorps/AmeriCorps orientations, meetings, and trainings
● Complete any eeCorps required National Day of Service projects
● Complete and submit all necessary eeCorps paperwork and reports by predetermined deadlines
● Some local travel required and occasional statewide travel possible
Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities):
● Support the greenhouse, raised beds and gardening activities at Legacy Ranch
● Inventory materials for programming
● Assist /Lead tours in the community
● Assist with outreach and fundraising related to growing programs
Term of Service: This is a half-time national and community service position requiring a minimum of 900 hours during the term of service (approximately 20 - 25 hours/week). The position begins August 23, 2022 and ends July 25, 2023. Flexible hours are required, including occasional evening and weekend commitments. Member may be required to serve on Days of Service that take place on certain national holidays throughout the year.
Training and Support Provided: eeCorps members receive significant training and experience in community engagement, project implementation, leadership, diverse populations, and more. Up to 20% of total hours served may be spent in applicable approved training and professional development. Members will be supervised and supported by Kristen Jespersen, Executive Director, as well as by Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator. The 2022-23 cohort of eeCorps members serving throughout the region will act as additional resources and support for each other.
Location and Service Conditions: This position is based at Yampatika, 925 Weiss Drive, Steamboat Springs, Colorado, 80487 and Legacy Ranch, 35395 Highway 40, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487.
● A living allowance of $8,250 distributed twice per month. Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed twice per month by direct deposit to the member’s bank account.
● Housing may be available through the USFS bunkhouse or Steamboat Ski Corporation.
● An education award of $3,247.50 upon successful completion of term of service.
● It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member.
● Mileage reimbursement for travel to required trainings, days of service, and program sites.
● Non-tangible benefits include extensive training, valuable experience, networking, and the opportunity to serve the local community in a crucial area of need.
● Ability to participate in regional EE leadership councils; option to obtain CAEE’s nationally-recognized Professional Environmental Educator Certification.
Physical, Emotional, and Intellectual Demands:
● Ability to work in outdoor setting in various weather conditions for up to 9 hours
● Able to carry/lift 50 pounds
● Commitment to equity in education
● People person willing to go out into schools and communities and engage
● Strong interest in environmental education
● Current CPR/First Aid required
● Ethic of national and community service and a strong desire to create positive change
● Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, computer literate
● High school diploma or GED required
● Ability to pass criminal history and background checks required
● Reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance required
● U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required
Diversity and Equal Opportunity: Yampatika shall not discriminate against any employee, volunteer, or program participant on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, political affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, marital, parental, veteran or military status, political service, or membership, participation or association with any employee organization. We provide equal employment and volunteer opportunities to all individuals based on relevant qualifications and abilities. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Yampatika is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
The Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE) recognizes the value of diversity and inclusiveness to advance environmental education. CAEE defines diversity in its broadest sense and welcomes everyone to the field of environmental education and the Alliance, including but not limited to people of all races, ethnicities, genders, gender expressions, sexual orientations, abilities, ages, national origins, socioeconomic status, religious affiliations, languages, and heritages.
If you are interested in applying to this position, please send your resume and a short cover letter outlining your interest in the program and commitment to national service to Erin Dreps, eeCorps Program Coordinator, at email@example.com. Please include “AmeriCorps Yampatika Program Facilitator Application” in the subject line. Please also attach a list of three (3) references, and a diversity and inclusion statement that is no longer than one page in length.
*Note: Position will be filled pending grant award.