Working cooperatively with the National Park Service Lake Mead National Recreation Area (LAKE) and Death Valley National Park (DEVA), the Great Basin Institute is recruiting to hire 3 Entry Level Engineering Technicians. The overarching objective of this position is to assist under close supervision the Maintenance Division in activities to support recreation and visitor facilities at Lake Mead and Death Valley. Technicians will aid in a variety of engineering support activities including, but not limited to:
-Assist senior level engineer with design reviews for various roads, buildings, housing and campground related projects.
-Assist Contracting Officer Representative with performing field inspections duties for ongoing construction projects.
-Assist with energy tracking and reporting such as reading photovoltaic meters quarterly and entering monthly usage in the governments reporting system.
-Perform condition assessments on the Lake Mead Asset Portfolio to identify and scope future project needs.
-Prepare quarterly progress reports and close out packages for various facility projects
-Attend park wide project meetings, attend and satisfactorily complete assigned training and instructional tasks.
-Create standing work orders and project related work orders in the governments asset management system.
-May perform project planning and management tasks such as administrative duties, Schematic and blueprint reading, data cleanup and audits, organize digital and hard copy engineering related files.
-Utilize AutoCAD to produce as-built drawings during the project close-out phase.
-Preform engineering related research such material and equipment research based on project need and obtain quotes from vendors.
-Simple engineering design such as take-off estimates, cost estimating, product identification, and production of drawing and specifications.
Start Date: December 2021
Term of Service: 12 months (1700 hours AmeriCorps service term)
LAKE - Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Boulder City, NV (Near Las Vegas NV and Henderson NV)
2 openings available
DEVA - Death Valley National Park
Death Valley, CA
1 opening available
Compensation and Benefits:
• Total Living allowance: $25,500.00 (paid in bi-weekly installments)
• AmeriCorps Education Award: $6345.00 upon successful completion of AmeriCorps term of service
• Sick Leave, Vacation, and Federal Holidays
• Eligibility for Student Loan Forbearance
• Fully covered health, dental, and vision insurance available starting the first of the month following your start date
• Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering OR current Junior/Senior standing working towards a bachelors degree in Civil Engineering or similar
• Also open to individuals in the field(s) of construction management, architecture, landscape architecture or similar
• Ability to interact and communicate with a diverse range of Park Staff and visitors
Motivated, self-starter, detail oriented, and possess good organizational skills;
• Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain
• Ability to work independently or cooperatively as part of a team focused on accomplishing goals and mission of the NPS and GBI;
• Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license with ability to safely operate and maintain a 4WD vehicle on and off paved roads;
• Experience working in AutoCAD
• Experience reading and writing project plans
• Knowledge of guiding principles of recreation, cultural or natural resource management
• Prior experience working in the desert southwest, or similar desert climates, desirable.
This AmeriCorps position is open to US Citizens, Nationals, or Permanent Residents age 17 or older
Successful applicant must complete a Department of Interior (DOI) Background Investigation (BI) or submit paperwork to NPS human resources indicating an active and fully adjudicated BI has already been completed prior to beginning position. If you already have a fully adjudicated BI, please let us know in your application.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit an application via the provided link below: