Under limited supervision, coordinates, develops and provides quality environmental education programs at Grassy Waters Preserve. The Environmental Education Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Watershed Manager to promote understanding and stewardship of the watershed.
This position is responsible for promoting and coordinating environmental education opportunities through workshops, school programs, seminars and public outreach programs designed to promote a public understanding of the value and importance of watershed, environmental habitats, water conservation and sustainability programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (which are not in any hierarchical order)
1. Prepares, presents and promotes environmental education programs for schools, libraries, agencies and the general public. Develops brochures, program announcements, and graphic materials.
2. Develops, implements and coordinates strategic planning for citywide environmental services program.
3. Prepares and administers the annual program budget, writes and submits grant applications relative to Nature Center and environmental program administration.
4. Attends related board and community meetings to promote environmental education and the City of West Palm Beach programs.
5. Interacts on a daily basis with other City departments and outside agencies, the public and media relative to establishment and implementation of program objectives.
6. Conducts interpretive nature walks, tours and outings, and answers the Center’s phone.
7. Recruits and trains Center volunteers and interns.
8. Performs light maintenance of the Center facility including cleaning and presentation equipment and accommodation setups.
To apply, please visit: http://wpb.org/Departments/Human-Resources/Home/I-want-to-work-for-the-City-of-West-Palm-Beach
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge and experience in Florida wetlands ecology.
• Knowledge of Florida natural plants and animals.
• Knowledge in environmental education to the public and schools.
• Knowledge in the development and implementation of environmental education programs.
• Knowledge of wetlands environmental programs.
• Skill in supervising, training, directing, and evaluating professional and technical volunteers and interns.
• Skill in completing complex, analytical assignments.
• Skill in analyzing problems accurately.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City departments and outside agencies.
• Ability to interact well with others.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to teach and interpret for a variety of audiences.
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work involves detailed concentration for long periods of time in a modified office environment. Incumbent will also work in outdoor conditions and while performing the duties of this job requiring light to moderate lifting, and walking. This position may also require the use of City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid Florida driver's license, and have an acceptable driving record. The City of West Palm Beach promotes and maintains a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment and random drug testing for certain employees.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Biology, Ecology, Natural Science or a closely related field, and three (3) years of experience in an environmental oriented setting, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
A current and valid Florida Class B Commercial driver’s license with the Air Breaks and “P” CDL endorsement is required.