This is a temporary position, October 2021- May 2022, though start and end dates are flexible for the right candidate. Working an estimated 40 hours per week. The intern will be directly supervised by the Supervisory Refuge Ranger. Housing is provided. Uniform shirts provided, but khaki pants and closed toed shoes must be provided by the intern. The work week will include at least one weekend day and some evenings. The job announcement will remain open until the positions are filled.
HOUSING & COMPENSATION
Housing for the intern, including free Wi-Fi, is provided on the grounds of the refuge at no cost to the intern. Interns receive a stipend of $206 a week. With a one-time travel reimbursement of $150. In addition, the intern will benefit greatly from being a part of our program with an average of seven to ten interns in the areas of biology, education, visitor services, and non-profit administration. The Refuge welcomes over one million annual visitors from around the world each year, so interns gain a broad base of experience as they apply for future positions. The intern will also have opportunities for networking with others in conservation-related fields.
The duties assigned to the successful applicant would be wide-ranging and should prepare the applicant for a future career in visitor services or recreation.
Assigned duties may include:
• Assisting the Refuge and Lee County School District with on-site Environmental Education lessons & field trips at the refuge.
• Conducting virtual EE lessons from the Refuge to schools across the country. Working with teachers to develop lessons to their state standards.
• Leading the “Ding” Darling Conservation Cartoon Art Contest to 6 area Lee County schools. Conducting programs, collecting artwork and judging artwork. Conducted each fall/winter.
• Assisting Supervisory Refuge Ranger in administering the FL Junior Duck Stamp Contest. Promoting, conducting contest lessons, collecting artwork, data entry of artwork and sending out prizes or assisting in awards ceremony.
• Conducting outreach booth at area events to promote the refuge off-site at area community festivals.
• Opening and closing the Visitor Center
• Developing and presenting programs for refuge visitors and school groups (e.g., nature walks, auto tours and environmental education programs)
• Working on special interpretive projects (e.g., brochures, news articles, exhibits, signs, the website, producing short videos about the refuge and its habitats/wildlife/plants etc.)
• Assist in planning, organizing and conducting special events onsite
• Staffing the Visitor Center, including greeting and providing information to visitors as needed.
• Assisting volunteers
• Cleaning/maintenance of the Visitor Center, exhibits, grounds, and vehicles
• Developing content for the refuge Facebook account
• Assist in administrative duties in the office such as answering phones, answering questions, ordering office supplies, etc.
• Assisting with other responsibilities as assigned.
Undergraduate or graduate students in the field of science or education · Students in related fields may also be considered · Attention to detail · Capable of performing diverse tasks simultaneously · Ability to problem solve in the field · High level of professionalism · Effective interpersonal skills, positive attitude · Customer service skills are a must!
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Successful applicants should:
• Be energetic and responsible
• Schedule flexibility
• Well organized
• Be able to work independently and in small groups with a variety of personalities
• Public speaking and group management skills
• Experience in leading programs/tours and working with the public is desired
• Excellent verbal and writing skills
• Knowledgeable in natural history, biology, bird identification et or a willingness to learn
• Creative and artistic abilities such as photography, Canva, computer graphics, website experience, video production, etc. should be noted in your resume
• Bilingual is preferred
• A valid driver's license (required)
To apply submit: submit a resume (up to two pages in length), cover letter, and 3 professional references to email@example.com