The Environmental Education Internship is a 7-10 month position (December-June) can start sooner and possible summer opportunity) where the incumbent assists the refuge's Conservation Educator in coordinating the school group tours as well as programs led at schools.
We present programs based on but not limited to basic bird identification, animal adaptations, ecosystems, estuarine habitats, refuge system history, tracking, endangered and invasive species, climate change and etc.
Specific intern responsibilities will include:
• Planning and implementing interpretive and environmental education programs that reach a wide range of audiences utilizing a variety of methods and materials.
• Position requires working with others in developing educational and outreach materials and implements goals and objectives and providing interpretive and orientation information to the public as needed.
• Candidate will be responsible for the operations, cleanliness and appearance of the Refuge Visitor Center and Environmental Education Classroom.
• Providing general visitor services by interacting with visitors by phone, at the refuge office/visitor contact station, and in the field.
• Planning and representing the refuge at community events and festivals.
• Additional duties may include assisting with Refuge administration and "Ding" Darling Wildlife Society-Friends of the Refuge with events.
• At least two years’ experience in environmental education.
• Valid driver's license and means of transportation.
• Be able to work in hot, humid outdoor settings.
• Have experience leading multiple/various programs ranging from short 30-min presentations to 1 1/2 - 2 hour tours (example: bird walks, guided trail hikes, school programs, deck talks and etc.)
• Self-driven/motivated and creative individual with a positive attitude and willingness to work with and help others.
• Candidates should be proficient and skilled in Microsoft Office software, social media platforms, and other office software.
• Interpersonal skills and a strong passion for wildlife and the environment are required.
Not Required but Preferred:
• First Aid/CPR or higher certification
SEND RESUME TO: Educator@dingdarlingsociety.org