Internship Period: 12 weeks, Oct 2, 2017 – Dec 22, 2017
Accommodations: Dormitory style room with other interns, and weekday lunch provided
Compensation: $100 per week, plus $54 meal allowance
Hours: 40 hours/week, sometimes weekends
Overview: Spend this fall in in one of the USA’s rarest ecosystems, the Florida scrub! Join the Education Department at Archbold Biological Station and help with a variety of outreach programs. Responsibilities include: leading nature walks and other activities during elementary school field trips, outreach at community events, assisting with program evaluations, animal care (snakes), generating social media content, and creating your own independent project. During personal time, the Environmental Education Intern can accompany researchers into the field to study rare plants, Gopher Tortoises, and Florida Scrub-Jays. The intern may also get the chance to participate in a controlled burn. Learn more about our programs on our website, Facebook, and YouTube.
Archbold Biological Station is an independent not-for profit biological research facility founded in 1941 by Richard Archbold. The Station conducts and promotes long-term ecological research and conservation, and has a strong commitment to education. The work at the Station emphasizes the unique biological communities of the Lake Wales Ridge, part of the Northern Everglades watershed, and one of the most distinctive and endangered biotic regions of Florida. For more information, please visit our website at www.archbold-station.org.
Email a cover letter, resume, and at least 2 references to the Educational Coordinator, Dustin Angell at email@example.com
- Current students and recent graduates, preferably with experience in wildlife biology, natural resources, ecology, environmental education, or other related fields
- Comfortable working outdoors in the Florida heat, alongside biting insects, mosquitos, and ticks
- Strong interpersonal communication and computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel, Power Point)
- Photography experience preferable
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- First Aid and CPR certification is desirable
- Criminal background check using fingerprinting is required