Join our education team and make a positive difference by communicating science and fostering a sense of place for children and adults in the Headwaters of the Florida Everglades. The Environmental Education Internship at Archbold Biological Station in Venus, Florida is designed with a focus on professional development through skill building, professional experiences, mentorship, and participation in education conferences.
As we continue working in the era of COVID-19, we are currently providing virtual classroom visits, live virtual events, and other remote learning opportunities for elementary schools and the public. We don’t know when we will return to offering in-person programs, but this internship covers both the coming school year and the 2022 summer camp season. Responsibilities may change due to the virus, but are expected to include: helping lead elementary school programs, working outreach booths at community events, assisting with program evaluations, and animal care (snakes). The intern will also focus on developing, facilitating, and evaluating their own e-learning project. The intern also has access to our private nature preserve and lake, the chance to accompany ecologists into the field, and receive prescribed fire training.
Archbold Biological Station is an independent not-for profit biological research facility founded in 1941 by Richard Archbold. The Station conducts and promotes long-term ecological research and conservation, and has a strong commitment to education. The work at the Station emphasizes the unique biological communities of the Lake Wales Ridge, part of the Northern Everglades watershed, and one of the most distinctive and endangered biotic regions of Florida. For more information, please visit our website at www.archbold-station.org.
Email the Director of Education, Dustin Angell, a cover letter, resume, and emails for at least two contacts for reference at email@example.com
- College degree, preferably with experience in wildlife biology, natural resources, ecology, environmental education, or other related fields
- Comfortable working outdoors in the Florida heat, alongside biting insects, mosquitoes, and ticks
- Strong interpersonal communication and computer skills (Microsoft Word and Excel, Power Point)
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- First Aid and CPR certification is desirable
- Possess valid drivers’ license with good driving record as determined by Archbold’s insurance carrier.
- Criminal background check using fingerprinting is required