Join us for a summer spent sharing nature with children in one of Florida’s most endangered ecosystems, the Florida scrub! The Environmental Education Summer Internship at Archbold Biological Station is a nine week position focused on assisting with the running of our Ecology Summer Camp for 7-12 year olds. In 2020 we are offering five sessions of our weeklong day camps, and expect to book two-three additional private camps. At our camp, children explore nature, meet scientists, and learn about local ecology and conservation. When camp is not in session, the summer intern works on a camp evaluation project and presents their findings during an Archbold staff seminar. Opportunities to assist in scientific research at the Station may arise and are encouraged as long as they take place during the intern’s free time.
Archbold Biological Station is an independent not-for profit biological research facility founded in 1941 by Richard Archbold. The Station conducts and promotes long-term ecological research and conservation, and has a strong commitment to education. The work at the Station emphasizes the unique biological communities of the Lake Wales Ridge, part of the headwaters of Florida’s Everglades, and one of the most distinctive and endangered biotic regions of Florida.
Accommodations: Dormitory style room with other interns. Breakfast and weekday lunches provided.
Email a cover letter, CV or resume, and emails for at least 2 references to Archbold’s Director of Education, Dustin Angell at email@example.com
- Some college education required, preferably in biology, natural resources, ecology, environmental education, or another related field.
- Enthusiasm for environmental education and working with kids.
- Comfortable working in the outdoors in the Florida summer heat, alongside biting insects, mosquitoes, and ticks.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and computer skills (Microsoft Word, Power Point).
- Spanish language skills a plus.
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- First Aid and CPR certification is desirable.
- Criminal background check using fingerprinting is required.