Location: Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge:
• Bloomington Education and Visitor Center, 3815 American Blvd. E. Bloomington, MN 55425
• Rapids Lake Education and Visitor Center, 15865 Rapids Lake Rd. Carver, MN 55315
Position Description: The Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge Trust, Inc. (MVT) is hiring a team of 4 fulltime, one-year paid Environmental Education Teaching Interns to join the Visitor Services Team at the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. The Teaching Interns will play an integral role at this thriving Urban Refuge where
nature connects people, communities, and wildlife.
The environmental education interns will be employees of MVT, a nonprofit conservation organization based in the Twin Cities. The interns will work alongside and learn from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) professionals to:
• Provide environmental education and interpretation programs online and in person to K-8th grade students from local schools and the public.
• Develop interpretive presentation outlines and lesson plans based on state education standards.
• Develop educational communication tools including newsletter articles and content for social media.
• Support visitor center operations to provide Refuge information, deliver nature-based activities to visiting public, and maintain educational and recreation equipment.
• Develop skills for facilitating bird watching, fishing, snowshoeing, and other recreation activities for youth audiences.
• Identify leadership opportunities to support the education department such as volunteer recruitment and training, external communications, and coordinating with community partners.
• Staff and plan activities for public events on the refuge or in the community.
• Explore various career paths and network with local employers within the field of natural resource management, education, and community outreach.
• Identify areas for professional growth, develop and complete a training plan that addresses needs.
20% of the work will be in the office, while 80% of the work will be in the field and will involve some physical activity, including walking or standing for long periods of time.
Date, Compensation and Benefits:
Start Date: August 29, 2022 End Date: September 1, 2023
Wage: $17.00 per hour
Benefits: Paid time off, federal holidays, employer-provided life and disability insurance, employer contribution to health and dental insurance, employer match to retirement plan. Uniform components and required field gear provided.
Note: Public Land Corps Hiring Authority may apply: Interns may be eligible for a federal hiring preference upon completion of their term of service.
Training: Interns will receive on the job training and develop a plan with their supervisor to build career skills. They will attend the 2023 Federal Intern Workshop to learn about federal careers and the federal application process. Interns will network with other MVT employees and USFWS staff, interns and volunteers, as well as local area partners such as the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Conservation Corps - MN/IA, city and county conservation agencies, and non-government and non-profit conservation groups.
• Post-secondary education desirable (degree obtained or in progress)
• Knowledge of and/or strong interest in one or more of the following: environmental education, youth development, natural resource management, wildlife management, biology, community outreach, or communications
• Ability to organize information into concise, clean, and compelling text, writing for publications and the internet
• Excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate well verbally and in writing
• Experience working with the public or children is desirable
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team, detail-oriented and organized, ability to follow oral and written direction
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
• Second language skills desirable
• Valid driver’s license preferred
• US Citizen or permanent resident of the United States
• Background check
• Compliance with Federal Covid-19 safety protocols
Application Deadline: Your application must be received by 5:00 pm, July 5, 2022.
To Apply: Submit the following information in ONE document to email@example.com:
1) 1-page cover letter explaining interest in the position, 2) Resume noting education, experience and skills and 3) List of three references (professional and/or academic). Please include all in a single document.
Questions: Please direct questions by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.