Van Cortlandt Park Alliance seeks two (2) Part-time Environmental Educators who are motivated, self directed, and energetic with strong interest in youth development and outdoor environmental work to lead education and volunteer programs in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.
Reporting to the Environmental & Garden Education Program Director, the Part-time Environmental Educators will be responsible for teaching outdoor environmental education programs to children and teens with the goal of encouraging students’ awareness and appreciation of the environment, broadening students’ knowledge of science concepts, and fostering students’ commitment to the protection of the natural environment. Van Cortlandt Park’s “outdoor classroom” includes an educational garden, woodland trails, wetlands, and pond.
Weekdays: Programs for elementary school kids include exploration of the pond ecosystem,
forest hikes, and hands-on urban farming and composting in VCPA’s Garden & Compost site.
Weekends: Programs include garden exploration days for pre-K children and their caregivers
and a drop-off class for kids ages 7-11 years old, focused on composting, and urban farming.
● Leading activities, preparing lessons, working outdoors in all weather;
● Tracking metrics and reporting;
● Assisting with community events, cultural programs, and special events as needed.
● March 2023 to June 2023 with the possibility of extension.
● 20 hours per week (3-4 days per week)
● Tuesday-Thursday, 9:30 am-2:30 pm
● Saturday, 9 am-2:30 pm
● Associate’s or Bachelor's degree in an environmental, science, or education field and/or 2-3
years experience teaching outdoor, hands-on science
● Ability to follow instructions without close supervision
● Understanding of basic ecological concepts and willingness to learn environmental
education lessons and issues specific to Van Cortlandt Park
● Flexibility to adapt to the needs of the program and participants
● Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather
● Ability to lift up to 30 pounds, carry tools and plants, stand for long periods of time.
● First Aid and CPR Training
● Hands-on curriculum development experience
● Familiarity with the natural areas of Van Cortlandt Park
● Experience working with children, pre-K through high school, in an outdoor setting
● Knowledgeable of age-appropriate teaching strategies
● Familiarity with environmental topics
● Ability to think on your feet and solve problems on the spot.