The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) of the Department of Homeland Security is seeking a limited number of applicants for jobs in Austin, TX.
All candidates should possess strong computer, communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills. Eighteen years of age and US Citizenship is required. Selected candidates will be required to complete a background investigation which includes finger printing. Employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salaries are comparable to local pay rates.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
FEMA Region VI is hiring Environmental Specialists for temporary duties. The Environmental Specialist will provide technical support as a member of the Environmental and Historic Preservation team reviewing FEMA funded projects for compliance with applicable environmental and historic preservation laws, regulations and executive orders, including, among others: Endangered Species Act, National Historic Preservation Act, Clean Water Act, Coastal Zone Management Act, Coastal Barrier Resources Act, and Executive Orders 11988 (Floodplains), 11990 (Wetlands), and 12898 (Environmental Justice).
For more information please go to: https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTEXAS/wtx?u=1504706325518&pageid=EM_JP_JOB_DETAILS&id=8563876
• BA or BS in Biology, Natural Resource Management, Historic Preservation, Architecture, Environmental Planning, Ecology, Environmental Science or Studies, Marine Biology, or a related discipline or four (4) years of experience working in a technical position in the field or related discipline.
Relevant Experience Required:
• Experienced professionals with a background in/as a Biologist, a Historic Preservation Specialist, an Environmental Planner or an Environmental Science or Studies. Prior career work experience could be in public service or private consulting. Prior FEMA experience is not required yet preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• The Environmental Specialist will be responsible for conducting Environmental and Historic Preservation compliance reviews with minimal supervision. Strong understanding of NEPA and NHPA. Knowledge of Environmental Laws and Executive Orders and Historic Preservation Laws are desirable.
• The candidate must be able to work independently, possess strong communication skills, and be able to handle a stressful work environment.
• The candidate should possess strong computer, interpersonal, and customer service skills, including Microsoft Office and Google Earth.