ManTech International Corporation is a leader in advanced technologies to help government and industry manage and protect information, support and maintain critical systems, and develop integrated systems to handle complex needs. However, ManTech also has a small team (~30 people) of biologists, ecologists and GIS professionals based out of California who work on federal contracts with various military installations across the Western region. This satellite team works with military and civilian personnel on federal landholdings to responsibly and effectively manage land and wildlife for conservation. Our team is currently seeking an entry to mid-level Restoration Biologist to effectively work independently and occasionally with a team of technicians to restore habitat and engage with various stakeholders, contract managers, and customers at Edwards Air Force Base, near Lancaster, California.
This position is for a career motivated restoration biologist. Opportunities exist for advancement within the field and the office. We are seeking a well-rounded individual with strongly developed interpersonal skills, high ability to communicate, developed writing skills, as well as generally being self-motivated, independent, and possessing the ability to identify and solve problems. Applicants already possessing a CA Department of Pesticide QAC will be given preference.
Following completion of a successful trial period, the applicant may be eligible for a full time opportunity. The applicant must be willing to relocate to Lancaster, CA or nearby in other outlying cities near Edwards Air Force Base. Housing is not provided.
• Be part of a team to support environmental stewardship at large scale habitat restoration sites
• Help manage day-to-day herbicide spraying and restoration activities
• Help implement and refine restoration techniques at each site (e.g. invasive weed removal, native plant installation and maintenance)
• Assist with maintenance of sites, such as herbicide spraying, weeding and irrigation
• Help monitor and report on team activities and progress
• Direct workflow and communicate with managers on team tasks and accomplishments
• Manage and compile data, prepare maps
• Prepare technical reports of various projects’ activities
• B.S. with studies in a science-related field. Work experience may qualify in lieu of a biological science degree.
• Ability to work outside in physically demanding situations
• Comfortable handling non-restricted herbicides. Must successfully pass an exam to obtain herbicide certification
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to manage a team of 6+
• Comfortable with a flexible work environment and potentially working weekends (infrequent)
• Valid CA driver's license with clean driving record
• ATV and 4WD drive experience; manual transmission experience preferred
• Knowledge of CA native plants and ecology
• Sawyer certification
• California Department of Pesticide Regulations QAL or QAC
• ArcGIS experience
• GPS and mapping units
Please apply at: