The Soque River Watershed Association is seeking a full-time Executive Director to implement the organization’s strategic plan and to advance our mission to protect and restore the Soque River, its tributaries and watershed.
The Executive Director serves as the lead spokesperson for the organization, manages staff and volunteers, fosters relationships with community organizations and individual stakeholders, identifies and acquires new funding sources, effectively communicates watershed stewardship goals and practices, implements programs to achieve clean water goals, and insures the long-term stability of the organization.
The Soque River Watershed Association:
SRWA is a community based environmental non-profit focused on collaborations with local and regional partners to implement on-the-ground clean water projects. Since the organization’s founding in 1998, the group has received five separate federal non-point source pollution reduction grants. These grants funded prioritized projects resulting in the de-listing of 32 miles of the river from the state’s list of impaired waters for fecal coliform bacteria.
The organization is focused on clean water partnerships that engage watershed stakeholders in streambank restoration, better stormwater management and green infrastructure, upland restoration using mulch and tree plantings, riparian re-vegetation, and dirt-road improvements. SRWA also engages in water quality monitoring, municipal policy and management recommendations, recycling initiatives, greenway/recreational trails development, youth education, water efficiency, and other sustainability programs. The organization is a regional leader in environmental and sustainability education and advocacy.
The Executive Director is the lead staff for the SRWA and directs, manages and insures adequate funding for all programs.
Programs and Communications
• Implement the goals of the strategic plan and revise program goals to meet emerging needs and opportunities.
• With the Board of Directors, staff, and community develop and complete short and long term objectives to carry out the mission and strategic plan.
• Represent the organization before the larger public, including speaking to elected officials, donors, media and experts in watershed management.
• Engage existing and new partners in program activities.
• Recruit new board, staff, volunteers, members, and major donors to build and support the mission of the organization.
• Work closely with the Board president to increase board skills/training, community effectiveness, and participation of the Board in all SRWA activities.
• Establish and or update policies and procedures for conducting SRWA operations.
Management and Finances
• Oversee the management of SRWA finances (with support staff) including all reporting obligations, development and implementation of annual budgets, and all efforts to ensure financial responsibility
• With the Board of Directors oversee all fundraising efforts to include foundation and grant proposals, membership giving, campaigns and events, major donor recruitment, and sponsorships.
• Develop and implement funding strategies to meet strategic goals and provide for the fiscal sustainability of SRWA.
• Lead and supervise part-time staff, and other contract staff.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic and experienced professional in technical aspects of watershed protection and non-profit management. Applicants should have experience in non-profit watershed protection programs and management. Additional qualifications include:
• Motivated and resourceful, ability to work independently
• A Bachelor’s or graduate degree in water related environmental or biological sciences.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Leadership / management experience
• Willingness to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends
• Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate as necessary to implement multiple programs and projects simultaneously
How to apply
In a cover letter: describe why you would like the job and any experience related to the position. Please mail or e-mail as one document a cover letter, a resume, and three references to: